Wireless Bridge setup

Hello,

I am using my TL-WDR3600 running LEDE to connect to my school network. I have to mention that I have a very basic understanding of how routers work, bridging, etc.

Anyway, presently, I use the TL-WDR3600 to join one of the "open" school networks as client. I use another router wired to the TL-WDR3600 to broadcast the signal in my apartment. In other words, I am using the TL-WDR3600 as wireless bridge.

My idea was to use both the 2.4 and 5 GHz and connect each to one of the school broadcasted signals, thinking, perhaps naively, that I would get a more stable signal to my apartment. This is because, occasionally, either the 2.4 or the 5GHz seem unstable.

What happens, is that either the 2.4 or 5 GHz stop working, at some point, and that breaks the other as well. i have to disconnect the one that fails for things to work again.

Could you please explain me how to improve my set up ?

Thanks

You probably need to install and configure "travelmate" or "mwan3" packages.

Hi, Thanks! this seems very interesting! I will look into it

This is rarely a good idea, unless you know very well what you're doing, you're just asking for trouble with the routing. Choose one and stick to it.

most certainly. I learned it the hard way :slight_smile:

What version is that?

You should check with the school to make sure you are allowed to access the network from outside the school, even if it's "open".

You might not necessarily need another router, unless the first one is positioned somewhere where it can't provide enough coverage. You

I have LEDE Reboot 17.01.3

My router is registered with my school, so that part is ok.

I got the second router because of the intended set up. If that is not possible, I agree, it is an overkill.

This is rather an old release and can be considered vulnerable. I recommend you update to the most recent release.

What I meant is that, if your WDR3600 can provide good coverage for your apartment then you don't need the other router.

1 Like

Thanks for the heads up. I will update it

Yes, I understand it. I should probably use only one as you suggested. Thanks!

1 Like