Wireless Bridge, Access Point, and dumb AP issues [SOLVED]

there are no gateways or dns configured on the aps. the clients were able to get dhcp from the router before so I am puzzled as to why it all of a sudden stopped working. Trace route works for .254 to router but fails accessing google.com.

.253 is fails at ping and traceroute.

Can you post the results, please.

Thant didn't answer my question. I asked:

If you are talking about a static ip set for the aps as being the client, yes they have static ips configured. I tested static configs on clients connecting to the stock linksys ap, and it still wont be seen by the network nor does it have access to ssh to router, web gui luci, or the internet.

Step back and do some fundamental troubleshooting, by isolating parts of the system.

Disconnect both AP's and configure your PC as a wired DCHP client and confirm that the main router will serve it.

Then reconnect the Linksys (after upgrading its firmware) and try both wired to the main router, wired to one of the other LAN ports on the Linksys, and wireless.

Something is seriously wrong with the Netgear if you can't even ping it. This is why I suggest unplugging it entirely until you can get main router and one AP (the Linksys) working properly. Resolve the Netgear's inability to be pinged in an isolated network (Netgear wired only to your PC with a static IP in the PC) before expecting it to work as an AP.

1 Like

I have to agree with @mk24

I am asking you to perform a traceroute from the client. Please do not use any web tools or apps on the router.

Again, didn't answer my question. I'm referring to the computer you're using for testing. I'm trying to understand how the PC used for testing has an IP.

thank you @mk24,

The linksys firmware wont update, it gives an "error upgrade was failed".

I am doing a factory reset on the linksys to see if I can configure it to be an access point from scratch again.

I ended up blowing away the .253 netgear and reloaded openwrt on it and configured it to be a dumb ap, and that is now working.

I am concerned if my wrt 3200 acm router is having some glitch where it knocks these ap devices offline and i worry that i will have to go through all of this again.

@lleachii the pc that was used for testing was behind the .253 and i manually assigned the 192.168.0.x ip to its nic. I will try currently back tracking all the devices again before performing your ask for a traceroute on the client pc. I will keep you posted.

Update:

I went ahead and blew away the netgear with another openwrt image and flashed the linksys stock firmware back to defaults and configured them to be dumb aps. I will mark this as resolved for now but I am still thinking something rendered these devices offline when configuring the main router. I will try and reproduce the situation by reloading my configs from my prior work. If it happens again I will update it here.

Thank you all for your help.

1 Like