Wireless Access Point / Dumb Access Point

Dear tmomas! Dear 6cef!
I have the following question/addition to the wiki entry regarding APs.
It suggests to delete the WAN port and use and bridge only one of the LAN ports with the WLAN. However, e.g., good candidates for APs are the mikrotik cAP ac which don't have a DC jack input. I'm aware that the cAP ac are currently not officially supported by OpenWrt but surely they will be in the near future.
Maybe it would be the easiest way to include a separate documentation how to set up the cAP as dump AP, in fact bridging the WAN port and thus have only one cable to the AP.
Best,
p34t

I haven't had access to a single ethernet port OpenWrt device for a while (so I can be mistaken here), but as far as I remember, the single-port devices usually have that port configured as LAN port by default with OpenWrt, so the wiki would still apply (except you wouldn't have to do anything with the WAN port).

3 Likes

That is surely the case for EAP245, and that is also the headache because real access points should really be configured as dhcp client on the ethernet port to work out of the box since the network already have a router and dhcp server. Access points are only a wifi radio interface to the network.
But with OpenWRT they are not access points after a fresh install, they become fully functional routers with WiFi as standard setup.

1 Like

The Dumb AP guide configures the AP to talk to the main router through the LAN port.

The "bridging the WAN port" part is optional, and turns the WAN port in an additional LAN port you can use. It is not required, if your device has no WAN port you can ignore that part with no problems.

OpenWrt assumes the first port of the device is a LAN port, so if your device has a single port (and nobody has specified differently in the default config of that device) that will always be a LAN port.

1 Like

Setting devices with dhcp by default has been discussed in the past and the common agreement was that using a default and static IP with DHCP server enabled is the way, because it is convenient for accessing the device and doing first configuration.

Since in most cases case a device that has been flashed with OpenWrt will need additional configuration to do anything useful (and to enable wifi, which is critical for most end users), it makes no sense to try to guess what the user wants depending on what device that is, and just have the same default for everything.

If you want to do pre-configured OpenWrt images for mass-deployment you can easily do them with ImageBuilder or from source by adding all your config files in the files folder. Then you can have devices that will "just work" the exact way you want them to, right after flashing

1 Like

That only applies to the day the device is PoE powered from the network switch because the IT-industry does that with access points.

PoE works fine even if the device has a static IP

The cAP ac can only be powered by PoE on the WAN port. So using the cAP as a dump AP and following the wiki entry regarding APs would end in having both LAN ports connected. The WAN for power and the LAN for bridging. So my initial idea was to provide, in addition, a wiki entry which describe the procedure for the cAP when it is connected only to the first LAN port, actually referred to as WAN.

Ok now I understand, you want to convert the WAN port into another LAN port, that part is missing from the "Configuration via LuCI" paragraph because it assumes the classic router device with a power supply and LAN ports. There you can leave unused WAN port and it's OK.

What you want to do is described in the "Configuration via OpenWrt command line" https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/network/wifi/dumbap#step_1modify_the_network
but you can do it from Luci web interface too.

The actual steps can be a bit different depending on how your device is made, some use a switch, some have separate ports.

You need to check what interface name is used by WAN port and add it to the bridge that the LAN port also uses.

Otherwise can you post the /etc/config/network file? so we can see what names are used.

1 Like

Sure. I currently use @alaraun's build: OpenWrt 21.02-SNAPSHOT, 2021-10-08-16-39-29, # uname -a -> Linux OpenWrt 5.4.150 with following configuration:

# cat /etc/config/network 

config interface 'loopback'
	option device 'lo'
	option proto 'static'
	option ipaddr '127.0.0.1'
	option netmask '255.0.0.0'

config globals 'globals'
	option ula_prefix 'XXXXX:/48'

config device
	option name 'br-lan'
	option type 'bridge'
	option bridge_empty '1'
	list ports 'eth0'
	list ports 'eth0.1'
	list ports 'eth0.2'

config device
	option name 'eth0.1'
	option macaddr 'XXXXX'

config interface 'lan'
	option device 'br-lan'
	option proto 'dhcp'

config device
	option name 'eth0.2'
	option macaddr 'XXXXX'

config interface 'wan'
	option device 'eth0.2'
	option proto 'dhcp'

config interface 'wan6'
	option device 'eth0.2'
	option proto 'dhcpv6'

config switch
	option name 'switch0'
	option reset '1'
	option enable_vlan '1'

config switch_vlan
	option device 'switch0'
	option vlan '1'
	option ports '4 0t'

config switch_vlan
	option device 'switch0'
	option vlan '2'
	option ports '5 0t'

Ok so on your device there is an embedded ethernet switch so the LAN port is eth0.1 and the WAN port is eth0.2

You seem to have already joined them in the LAN bridge

config device
	option name 'br-lan'
	option type 'bridge'
	option bridge_empty '1'
	list ports 'eth0'
	list ports 'eth0.1'
	list ports 'eth0.2'

I'm not sure you need to have also list ports 'eth0' in there since that is not a physical port, try removing it.

This should be deleted since you don't want to use your WAN port as a WAN interface.

config interface 'wan'
	option device 'eth0.2'
	option proto 'dhcp'

config interface 'wan6'
	option device 'eth0.2'
	option proto 'dhcpv6'

then you can restart network with service network restart

or just reboot the device

And now both ports should be LAN

1 Like

Thanks, you're totally right with your corrections, I had some unused staff in my config.
But again, my solution is to use only one single cable to the cAP at eth0.2.