Wireguard interface, Error: Network device is not present

I have a Linksys WRT1900ACS running OpenWrt 21.02.1, r16325-88151b8303 and it has been running flawless since I upgraded until today.

My setup:
Internet -> ISP provided router -> WRT1900ACS
My WRT1900ACS is configured to connect via a wireguard interface and that has worked without problems until now.

Problem:
I did not change anything in my setup.
Today my router is not able to reach "internet".
For instance, from my WRT1900ACS ping 8.8.8.8 has a 100% packet loss but ping 192.168.0.1 (ISP provided router) works fine.
If I connect my PC directly to the ISP router and try ping 8.8.8.8 it works fine.

Question:
How should I debug this?
Any ideas of what might be wrong?

Edit,update:

Seems like I am getting Network device is not present for all my wireguard interfaces, what does that error mean?

do you tunnel all traffic ? is it up, and working ?

I thought that it was down due to some strange issue, but I see now that my wg interfaces are having trouble.
It says Error: Network device is not present.

But it seems to not be visible all the time. Not sure what it means. I will be investigating. Any pointers are welcome.

Couldn't figure it out.
I did a settings reset and am setting up my router again and if I the issue shows up again while I configure it I'll update this thread.

Keep in mind that DSA in 21.02.x will need some configuration changes relative to 19.07.x, blindly copying configs or restoring them point blank isn't going to work.

I'm having a similar issue. I have a simple router configuration which acts as a wireguard client and it was working at one location. After I moved the router to another location, the Wireguard interface just says "Network device is not present". I did not change anything in the router between moves.

Could you figure out what was wrong on your case?

Edit: I was able to replicate the issue on a location where the wireguard client router was working, and found out that the issue occurs when the client router's WAN6 is not assigned a IPv6. I removed the IPv6 entries on the client router's General Settings "IP Addresses" and client's Peers' "Allowed IPs", but the wireguard interface still gives me a "Network device is not present" error. Still not entirely sure how to correct this. The client's peer's endpoint host is a IPv6 address, since the server IPv4 is behind ISP's NAT.

Edit2: The issue I'm almost certain is that the endpoint host is a IPv6 address. As mentioned, I can't use a endpoint host IPv4 because the server is behind a ISP NAT. I'm thinking that my only solutions is to get IPv6 working on the location without IPv6, or somehow figure out how to route the IPv6 data via IPv4. I'm fairly a noob on these things, and it sounds to me that getting IPv6 working on the second location is the easiest route.

Edit3: Problem was solved by enabling IPv6 on the location where wireguard wasn't working. After WAN6 received an address, the wireguard interface's error of "Network device is not present" went away, and the server's IPv6 address was reachable from the client side.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.