Wireguard and io actvities

I'm running wireguard client on a 4M/32M device. I have a script which brings up the interface/vpn.
On first boot, the script takes less than 5 secs to run. After one day up time, rerunning the script takes 15secs. I know memory could be the limiting factor, but free memory reports the same amount of free memory and there is no oom activiate

I've used the 'time -v ./wgvpn.sh' and notice
Major (requiring I/O) page faults: 38
This means the router is memory thrashing, swapping pages in/out.

I rerun the same setup with openvpn and it does not exhibit the same problem.

Could there be some problem with the wireguard kernel module?

32 MB can work for minimal router/AP functions, but may repeatedly “crash”, depending on your hardware and use case

Using flash as swap is likely to lead to other issues (including bricked routers), as it typically isn't implemented in home routers with the functionality to gracefully manage "wear" of the memory cells.

Using flash as swap is likely to lead to other issues (including bricked routers), as it typically isn't implemented >in home routers with the functionality to gracefully manage "wear" of the memory cells.

Agreed. but I do not have any swap activated. The pages swapping is within the kernel swapping virtual pages in/out.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.