Will OpenWrt stay open source?

Hi there

I use openwrt to build my custom firmware

And use it with my wisp company with my trademark my Q can I stay use and work with it , or in some time it will be closed software

Other Q if I build my custom image with it is it legal to use my trademark with this custom firmware

Thanks

My two cents:

• Your company need to consult a layer, right now.
  • OpenWrt is made from lots of different pieces, and not all of then are released under the same license and version. It's difficult to give a broad answer; however, in layman's terms, the quick answer is:
    • No, OpenWrt cannot go closed source.
    • You can brand your custom images, but your code must be open source, too.
5 Likes

TLDR: Open-source cannot get closed. However, an OpenWRT based firmware is bringing in together a lot of different licenses and you need to follow each of them when it comes to modifying/distributing commercially.

Quick Reference (may not feel quick but is very readable): opensource.org FAQ

What is important to understand is that each package you build into your firmware using OpenWRT (including OpenWRT itself) has a specific license which you are required to follow. As you publish your firmware, you need to be able to list all packages that are used, what license they are published under and adhere to all the requirement in that license.

Typical requirements include:

• crediting the creators (usually the minimum)
  • publishing any changes your made either in source, binary or both under a specific license as required by the original package license
  • if the package you need is not open-source, you may consider buying commercial rights to distribute/modify it

Another important aspect is that you are typically not required to publish modifications you make to the tools used to build your firmware as long as you don't distribute them. OpenWRT may seem confusing to you as it is both the tool (to build your firmware) and a set of packages (which are present in the firmware you distribute). Make sure you understand what this means for your distribution.

This work is complex and most likely tedious but it is critical for you to do it. From experience, it is very hard and costly to postpone this analysis (technically and legally).

One last element, there are tools that can help you identify code source and licenses automatically. These tools are typically used when auditing a code-base or a binary release. There are also lawyers, developers, etc. who specialize in open source software/licenses and would be able to help you.

Thank you now I get good idea about it

Thank you for your explain it's very helpful for me
Thank you