[wiki] Updating general OpenWrt support status for all targets

Continuing the discussion from Linksys MR8300 AC2200 Tri Band:

https://openwrt.org/docs/techref/targets/ipq40xx would be the place to document the general support status of the ipq40xx target.

I encourage everybody to look through the other target pages listed on https://openwrt.org/docs/techref/targets/start and update the general OpenWrt support status, or share otherwise helpful knowledge about a target.

• Are there any functional restrictions which are inherent to the target, not a specific device?
    • e.g. bcm63xx -> DSL will not work
  • Is there anything else worth knowing about a target?

When talking about "currently", please always add a date, e.g. "currently (August 2021)...".
The "Current status" is true at the time of writing, but might not be true in 1 year.

Your contributions to the wiki are welcome! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

In general, ipq40xx works very well and is fully supported - with one caveat, VLANs. Basically IPQ40xx Switch Config "Strangeness" is still correct, you can use VLANs, but there are a couple of constraints around that (courtesy of the swconfig driver, which exposes two virtual ethernet interfaces to the system, while there is only a single physical one - with hardcoded VID mappings distinguishing between them). A DSA based driver (ipqess) is kind of under development, but it's going to be a long walk to get that functional, as the hardware is quite 'special' and un(der)documented.

Patches to the existing swconfig drivers exist and have been tried, with serious performance implications - so it's back to the 'strange' state we have, until the DSA driver solves the issue once and for all.

tl;dr, this target works great, unless you want multiple VLANs - you can still get the later working, but will need quite some head scratching to get it working the way you need it. This indeed affects the target as a whole, given that the switch (at least the parts responsible for these issues) is part of the SOC.

2 Likes

That's valuable information!
Would you be willing to update the ipq40xx page linked above?

1 Like

I'm not quite sure when I'd get to that, probably the weekend at the earliest - so if anyone beats me to it…

2 Likes