Wifi with password won't work; without works

On 21.02. When I set a password on the wifi, devices won't connect. No association.
When I remove the password; they can connect.
The only such I found in the forum was not answered.
I'm hopeful.
Thanks a lot.

Have you tried different passwords? In this case, we need to see the password you are using -- feel free to use a temporary password, but verify that the behavior is the same with that temp password.

Please copy the output of the following commands and post it here using the "Preformatted text </> " button:
grafik
Remember to redact passwords, MAC addresses and any public IP addresses you may have:

cat /etc/config/wireless

Thanks, Peter. Results below.

root@OpenWrt:~# cat /etc/config/wireless

config wifi-device 'radio0'
	option type 'mac80211'
	option channel '11'
	option hwmode '11g'
	option path 'pci0000:00/0000:00:00.0/0000:01:00.0'
	option htmode 'HT20'
	option cell_density '0'

config wifi-iface 'default_radio0'
	option device 'radio0'
	option mode 'ap'
	option ssid 'OpenWrt'
	option encryption 'sae-mixed'
	option key '1234567887654321'
	option network 'lan wan wan6'

@psherman No, but what I just now tried is WPA2. And that worked perfect. Too bad, I was very about WPA 3 in this version of the firmware.

Not all devices will work with WPA3 -- some clients will be updated and work now, others may never be updated.

If your problem is solved, please consider marking this topic as [Solved]. See How to mark a topic as [Solved] for a short how-to.

And it's impossible to know which is which. Thus, WPA2 will be around yet for a while, until all devices get old and are disposed off. Naturally, newer devices will support the new WPA3 protocol. Alternatively, one could set up two networks, after testing which devices support WPA2 and WPA3, and assign them respectively.

This doesn't look right. If in doubt remove the wan and wan6.

1 Like

I was noticing that, too. But since the original issue was solved (WPA2 vs WPA3 encryption), I forgot to mention that this is likely not the desired config... should just be lan.

1 Like

@psherman and @trendy thanks guys. I do not claim, never will, that I know what I'm doing all the time. There has been a great deal of frustration this side and I'm throwing everything in the kitchen sink, just to get things to work. Might be better off getting another router, but that I can't do now. So, dear, Peter, come to my rescue again; what options must I select when creating my wifi network. I selected the options @trendy so beautifully discovered to be wrong. I'm beside your feet, ready to follow. And thanks a lot!

I'm not really sure what you are asking here... there is no "universal' set of configurations for Wifi. It depends on so many factors.

@psherman well, Peter, let's start with the basics, such as what configurations that someone like yourself would see and say, 'that makes sense'. As mine now clearly does not :slight_smile:

Again, there isn't really a universal set of config options. There are cases where things could be blatantly wrong, but there are many different ways to achieve a well optimized setup. It is a combination of art and science.

I'd recommend that you watch this video for wifi fundamentals, especially with multiple APs. Although the video focuses on Unifi, the concepts of placement, channel selection, power settings, and a few other variables apply to all wifi systems (provided the settings are exposed to the user).

1 Like

Especially in the IoT world, WPA3 is still a rare exception, rather than the norm - including brandnew devices just brought to market.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.