WiFi settings for testing purpose

Hey,

i am currently working in a IOT project and need to test the device under different WiFi-Settings. I have a LINKSYS WRT 1200 AC Router for this purpose. I have to use b/g/n, b/g, b, g and n. I guess that this config in /etc/config/wireless activates b/g/n:

config wifi-device 'radio1'                                            
        option type 'mac80211'            
        option hwmode '11g'               
        option path 'soc/soc:pcie/pci0000:00/0000:00:02.0/0000:02:00.0'
        option country 'DE'                                            
        option channel 'auto'                                          
        option legacy_rates '1'                                        
        option htmode 'HT20'                                           

config wifi-iface 'default_radio1'                                     
        option device 'radio1'                                         
        option network 'lan'                                           
        option mode 'ap'                                               
        option macaddr '16:91:82:bc:76:c3'                             
        option key 'aaaaaaaaa'                                         
        option encryption 'psk2+ccmp'                                  
        option ssid 'Test-WiFi'  

With 'require_mode' which can be set to 'g' or 'n' I can archive and 'n', right? With 'htmode' set to 'NOHT' 11n is disabled. So I can archive 'b/g'. With 'legacy_rates' set to 0 will yield in 'g'. Is this right so far? Is it possible to have only 'b' active?

thank you for your answer in advance.

your best to modify in gui then check config changes... too many revisions and combos to contemplate...

A bit tangencial to your question, but I think you must know that the drivers wifi for this router have issues with one of the most common chip used by IoT devices: https://github.com/kaloz/mwlwifi/issues/278

1 Like

If you need to validate 802.11b support, you probably want a (a couple of) real 802.11b-only AP/ router for testing, as that standard differs quite a bit (22 MHz channel bandwidth instead of 20 MHz, DSSS modulation instead of OFDM) from 802.11g or later. Yes, any modern AP 'should' still support that, but how well they do -and how strict they are- is another issue (especially in AP mode), plain driver bugs and interoperability issues (both with mwlwifi in particular and ancient/ proprietary wireless drivers in general) aside.