I am fairly new to OpenWRT and I'm running a EZR13 from Outdoor Router (http://ezr13.outdoorrouter.com/)
I have a scenario where I want to setup a WiFi extender which broadcasts an Access Point. However, I would like the option to connect to the WiFi extender through an ethernet port for internet connection. If this connection goes down or is not availble, I would then like it to connect to a near by network via WiFi as backup.
I've read a bunch of guides, made some progress and I am able to do the following:
- I am able to bridge the ethernet connection to an Access Point no problem (i.e.ethernet > WiFi)
- I am able to configure the router in as relay bridge using RelayD, connect to the backup WiFi network as a client and bridge this to my access point as per https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/network/wifi/relay_configuration. (i.e. WiFi > WiFi)
- I've tried combining these 2 configurations with some success. However the priorities are reversed. For example:
- When connecting and ethernet cable, the ethernet > WiFi bridge kicks in and the access point is broadcasted with no problem
- However, when the backup WiFi network is present, the router automatically connects to the network as a client even though the ethernet connection is present.
- Once connected as a client, the relay bridge kicks in and seems to take over the priority of the regular ethernet > WiFi bridge (i.e. I am now on WiFi > WiFi)
Is there anyway I can swapped the characteristics around? I would like the ethernet > WiFi bridge to take priority over the WiFi > WiFi bridge.