Wifi over the whole yard

I would like to spread my wifi over the entire farm. This includes several buildings and a large outdoor area. Two networks (farm and guest) are to be spanned. Only the 2.4GHz band will be used, as my existing AP's (Mikrotik RB941) do not support 5GHz. All AP's have a LAN access. There will be about 10 AP's in total. I would have set up the whole thing on two 802.11s channels with 40MHz width. What is your opinion?
Greetings Thomas

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Build it as a business star network with spread out switches strategically spaced and have some access points to each switch. And the router between internet and the network.

If you run ethernet cable you can run these up to 100m but maybe you need to think about opto fiber for some parts.

Hi flygarn.
yes exactly the cable connections are already in use.
Only with the Wifi technology I am still unsure.
The AP's should not affect each other negatively and everywhere should be (best) uninterrupted Wifi available. In the mesh, the same channel is used everywhere and the change from AP to AP should not occur at all, if I have understood correctly.

With wired backhaul you would not be using 802.11s. 802.11r is the standard for improved switching between APs as a user moves around. It depends on implementation on the client device, which is lacking on most devices.

Using the same channel really doesn't help the client, if not FT enabled they still scan the band and completely tear down / rebuild the connection to change APs.

Two 40 MHz channels are only possible in countries where channels 12 and 13 are allowed. Even at that, wider channels don't give a speed advantage unless the user is quite close to the AP. The transmitter power distributed over a wider bandwidth ends up being a wash versus using faster modulation on a narrow channel. So consider using 4 20 MHz channels instead which will allow more separation between APs on the same channel.

Without "smart" clients it is a big advantage to set the basic_rate to 54 Mb instead of 1 or 6. This forces clients to drop an AP as they move away and can no longer receive the beacons, which if the area is well covered means they will switch to a nearer one.

2 Likes

Hi mk24.
Thanks for the detailed explanations.

I just noticed that on my mikrotik hap lite with RouterOS, the guest wifi is a virtual interface on the same channel as the main interface. Is this correct?
With openwrt I already need two separate channels or?

One radio, one channel (but, depending on the hardware/ firmware/ driver capabilities the option to add multiple (V)AP interfaces on this shared channel).

Now I have figured it out.
When I install openwrt on the hap lite it behaves the same way. Both wifi are on the same channel.
Only with openwrt I can change the channel on both ssid and it changes automatically on all the others.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.