WiFi on WDR3600 unstable after 2-3 Days

Problem seems to be solved. Currently uptime is over 12 Days wihtout any bigger breakdown of WDS bridge.

I did add a dedicated interface only for WDS, don't know if that fixed the problem or some firmware changes.

Could you please share what version you're using? Is it the latest 17.01.1?

No, im on Snapshots from the start. Im currently running r4053-21c2e93

HI:
I am using Lede 17_01_4 on Atheros Platform based on db120 and running into same issue that is being discussed in this forum:
wlan0: authentication with 00:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx timed out
This happens randomly, sometime in 5 minutes and some time it takes couple of days. I have experienced the problem with Choas Calmer 15.05 also and then decided to move onto LEDE 17_01_4 and to my surprise I have seen the issue in lede also.
I am using same db120 HW as AP and Sta with WDS enabled on both side for a PTP like connection.

is there a fix or workaround for this issue? any help appreciated..thanks

Haven't found one so far. Problem still exists on latest nightlies and even on different Hardware (WRT1200 as Station and CPE210 as WDS Client).

I have a Ralink chipset based client WDSing ony second WDR3600 which is rock solid.

I faced the same problems with my WDR3600 that I bought in 2015. After a few weeks I replaced the stock firmware with OpenWrt and the problem started: sudden connection stalls. As I couldn't find a solution I used a timer switch to cut the line each night. A few weeks ago I installed OpenWrt LEDE and the problem was still there. My final solution was to get rid of the device and bought an AP of a different brand. Since this was my first contact with OpenWrt and it turned out very badly I will keep the stock firmware.

Just to follow up on this problem one year later, is there any improvement on this topic ? I face the same issue with different atheros based hardware

Sorry, I'm using wired network now instead of the WDS bridge. Don't know if it works. WDS with Ralink client does work fine although.

Hi, I have a lot of WDR3600 / WDR4300 and all works fine.
I have some with 2.4ghz and 5ghz, others with mwan3, others linked with WDS, others with openvpn server and client, etc. all with OpenWRT 15 and 18 latests versions... no problems...
With some WDR4300 and OpenWrt 15 had problems of no IP using dhcp, but was because it has a lot of devices connected... I had some other problems but all was because of external related things... some cheap chinese smartphone that does something extrange with dhcp ack's or some cheap windows wifi that comes and go unstable, or bottleneck like slowlyness, but after all it performs very well 1 main router and 5 routers around in one of the places, and 1 main router and 4 on another, and it keeps stable for days, I have seen more than 30days on uptime sometimes (here we have some power outages sometimes)

I also seen some wdr3600 behave badly because of a lot of dust inside, and a stuck wdr4300 because lack of ventilation (inside some furniture) and a wdr4300 doing strange things because some person put a phone line on the ethernets and killed the switch chipset... after some tries the ethernet show link but when I put a cable it behaves that it is connected a loopback cable (you could reproduce problem this putting a cable on port 1, and the other end on port 2) logread show that time "received packet on eth with own address as source address" this will happen too if you have computers with leaks on electric storms and that high peak voltages enter into the ethernet ports.

anyway I have two of those linked with WDS (since the ethernet ports does not work at all) and work extremely well with wifi only. I have WDS links only with 2.4ghz (5ghz I don't remember why it doesn't worked well), I even have one master WDS AP and two client/station WDS connected in to that network repeating same ssid...

1 Like

Hi waking this one up. Dust appears to be the cause of random wifi drops with wdr3600.Opened the box and removed most of the dust, running for 5 days without a problem on 18.06. Will try after a few days 19 again!

Many thanks braian87b

Nop, happened again after 8 days, 2.4 fails while 5 is still working
Happens over load, threads for archer c7 report same problems.
Perhaps the driver - firmware ?

I can confirm this. Under any load wifi on wdr3600 is not stable. I have 2 devices and see it on both. So I've relegated them to non-wifi roles...

My router is WDR3600 v1.5 and works stably, more than a month without drop of the Internet with version 19.07.7 variant ath79. I also add some specific options that you can also play with for more stable work:

1. Uncheck the option in Wireless-> Interface Configuration-> Advanced Settings-> Disassociate On Low Acknowledgment
  2. Manually add DNS servers to all clients. This reduces the load on the router as a whole.

Try the workaround, for ath9k devices

https://forum.openwrt.org/t/archer-c7-2-4-ghz-wireless-dies-in-24-48-hours/44163/150.)

1 Like

nice, link is Archer C7 2.4 GHz wireless dies in 24~48 hours - #150 by sammo