WiFi Extender connection to OpenWrt Router

Hello everyone,

I've got short question regarding WiFi Extender. I have my Netgear R7800 setup with OpenWRT firmware I would like to extend it's wifi range and buy i.e. Netgear EX7300. Is it possible just connect it to OpenWRT router and setup as extension of my current wireless network or it has to be also with installed OpenWRT firmware (which is impossible right now, from what I read)?
Thanks in advance for your help!

BR.

Are you planning to use a wired or a wireless link between the R7800 and the extender?

Well... I can do both, but preffer to do this wireless :slight_smile:

You can use the EX7300 (with stock firmaware) as an extender with a R7800 (with OpenWrt).
Prefer wire if you can.

You can also install OpenWrt on the EX7300, which will allow you a more customized experience.

1 Like

Thanks a lot for your help about this case. Today I already get this extender, but I need to make more tests because speed is lower than connecting directly to the router. With my connection to R7800 I'm getting around 500MB/s download speed, but with extender about half of this ammount. I'm still looking for some solution to get around 900MB/s on the download wireless.
I think it's possible to install OpenWRT on V1, but it's not possible to get this version, so I've EX7300 V2, which is not compatible with OpenWRT. Anyway, thanks a lot once again for your input here.

You mean Mbit/s :wink:

speed is lower than connecting directly to the router

That is to be expected. Otherwise use a direct wire connection between extender and router.

some solution to get around 900MB/s on the download wireless.

Reaching 900 Mbit/s with wireless is very doubtfull. If you really want such speed, once again you need to use wire.