WIFI down, while ethernet is still up Archer C7 v2

I have installed the latest firmware upgrade. It is now on 19.07.4

Do I still need to do the "opkg install kmod-ath10k-ct-smallbuffers " workaround as I see also in the release notes the following:

Core components

**Update ath10k-ct-firmware**

kmod-ath10k-ct-smallbuffers is still needed.

1 Like

Unfortunately today the WIFI again died. This is now the second time in couple of weeks with the new firmware. The "smalbuffer" workaround seems not be working. Can this be checked please?

On other threads I've seen recommendations for using the non CT firmware and drivers. Is there any reason this is not advisable?

Today I have installed the latest firmware.
I have done again the "opkg install kmod-ath10k-ct-smallbuffers " workaround.
But I am not sure if it is helping so much since the recent updates..

My WIFI is dead too often. Maybe it is time for a new router...

when wifi crashes have you verified it runs out of memory with the commands
free
to see free memory or
dmesg
to see the kernel log?

I am surprised that the "smallbuffers" variant is not the default already...is this actually a rare issue?

either way I recommend you set a cron job to restart wifi every day, for example, at 6 AM

go in LuCI --> System --> Scheduled Tasks
and put this line

0 6 * * * wifi down && sleep 10 && wifi up

then go to System --> Startup
find cron in the list and click "Restart" in that row to restart cron
(this has to be done only if the Schedules Tasks list was empty before)

Thanks sir!

Indeed it is strange that the smallbuffers issue is not by default fixed in the firmware.

I could have wait for couple of weeks to see if the new firmware is performing better, but I have choosen to do the WIFI restart every morning.

Is this only restarting the WIFI or the complete router?

1 Like

as far as I know

wifi down
specifically disables the phy0 and phy1 interfaces
and
wifi up
enables them and reloads the driver / configuration

Hello guys!
I'm using DD-WRT on Archer C7 V2 US and I'm thinking about installing Openwrt, but I see it seems to have more problems than dd-wrt, although both don't have as many. I'm just looking for stable firmware with performance equal to the standard version. Would you recommend staying on DD-WRT or would Openwrt be better?
As the months go by, I think it could be better. Am I thinking right?

Recommended to stay in dd-wrt.

I have a C7 V2, and 5 GHz works fine with the standard ath10k driver.

Currently running 19.07.8

1 Like

I used DD-WRT for a while, and since switching to OpenWRT several years ago, I would never go back to DD-WRT.

2 Likes

Dd-wrt is good for this device.

Hi Bro. Had you ever try the 21.02 version?

Currently running 21.02.1

May you please give me your opinion? What's good? What's not good? Does it worth it? Any bugs or problems?

Thanks in advance pal

EDIT: In Archer C7 v2 I mean

I've run LEDE/OpenWRT on it since version 17, and haven't had any issues with the firmware.

The current default ath10k drivers for 5 Ghz can be a little fidgety, but there are alternatives (I've settled on the ct-smallbuffers version).

Started out with a 6 down 1 up DSL connection, and now on 50/50 fiber.

The hardware has limitations (since it has a 720 Ghz CPU), so when we eventually upgrade to the next speed tier (200 Mbps), we'll need to replace it.

1 Like

Thank you very much for your answer my friend. I've seen many bad comments and so many people with problems and problems that I haven't tried it because of that. It makes me a little afraid.

But I think I'm going to give it an opportunity. Should I download the normal version from firmware selector??

If you're on TP-Link stock firmware, you'll want the factory image.

Once you're running OpenWRT, you'll upgrade (or reflash) with the sysupgrade image.

You should also understand how to revert back to stock firmware, before you install OpenWRT, in case it doesn't work out for you.

Recover using the TFTP server method. Written for Windows users...but the concepts are the same for other OS.

Download the stock firmware.

Download TFTP64.

Rename the downloaded firmware file to ArcherC7v2_tp_recovery.bin, and place it in the same folder as TFTPD64.

Open your network settings in Windows, and select the wired adapter (don't try this on a wireless connection).

Right-click and select Properties.

Select Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) and click on the Properties button.

In the General tab, select the radio button for Use the Following IP Address.

Enter 192.168.0.66 for the IP address.

Should default to 255.255.255.0 for the Subnet Mask.

Turn the router off.

Make sure nothing else is connected to the router, it should be just the router and your computer.

Open TFTPD64. You may be asked to allow it through the firewall. Select Public.

Go to Settings > Global, and uncheck everything except TFTP Server.

Go to Settings > TFTP. Select None for TFTP security. Uncheck Option negotiation, and enter 192.168.0.66 in the Bind to this IP address drop down.

Go back to the main window, and make sure the Current Directory dropdown is showing the path to the TFTPD64 folder, which should also contain your recovery firmware file ArcherC7v2_tp_recovery.bin

The IP address 192.168.0.66 should be displayed in the Server Interface dropdown. If not, select it.

Go to the router and press the power button and the reset button at the same time.

Release the power button...but continue to hold the reset button for about 4 or 5 seconds, then release.

You should see a progress bar going across the TFTPD64 screen (although it should only take a very short time).

View the log. It should show 100% transferred.

Go back to your wired network adapter, and change the radio button back to Obtain an IP Address Automatically.

Try to access the router GUI. The stock firmware IP address is 192.168.0.1 and admin/admin for the User Id and Password.

If you can see that you have Internet access in the Network icon, but can't access the GUI, open a Command prompt and run ipconfig /release and then ipconfig /renew.

Try to access the GUI again.

Worst case if this doesn't work is doing a serial recovery.

1 Like