WIFI down, while ethernet is still up Archer C7 v2

"opkg update" and retry

1 Like

I immediately installed the full firmware again from scratch, ( with keeping the settings)

Can you send me the commands again? When do I need to do the "update" ?

opkg update
opkg remove kmod-ath10k-ct
opkg install kmod-ath10k-ct-smallbuffers
reboot
2 Likes

Each and every time you do an opkg install, independent of the device you use, independent of the package you want to install.

1 Like

Thanks, it is now installed.
Let's hope the router will stay working now rock solid at least for couple months without a reboot :grinning:

thanks a lot for your excellent support Patrakov!
Also thank you Thomas!

@tmomas probably this (the use of non-smallbuffers driver for Archer C7) needs fixing in the next minor version update anyways. There was another instance of the issue: OOM issues on Archer C7 v5

I have now an uptime of 15 days, and it is still working fine :grinning: :grinning:

1 Like

If your problem is solved, please consider marking this topic as [Solved]. See How to mark a topic as [Solved] for a short how-to.

Is there any forecast that the use of non-smallbuffers driver for Archer C7 will be fixed in the next minor version update, so it will work without this workaround?

I did a similar workaround by using the non CT driver.

Unfortunately after 25 days the issue appeared again. So I needed to reboot again to make it work again. For now the uptime is again 26 days, so lets hope it will continue to work.

Is there any forecast that the use of non-smallbuffers driver for Archer C7 will be fixed in the next minor version update, so it will work without the workaround?

I have installed the latest firmware upgrade. It is now on 19.07.4

Do I still need to do the "opkg install kmod-ath10k-ct-smallbuffers " workaround as I see also in the release notes the following:

Core components

**Update ath10k-ct-firmware**

kmod-ath10k-ct-smallbuffers is still needed.

1 Like

Unfortunately today the WIFI again died. This is now the second time in couple of weeks with the new firmware. The "smalbuffer" workaround seems not be working. Can this be checked please?

On other threads I've seen recommendations for using the non CT firmware and drivers. Is there any reason this is not advisable?

Today I have installed the latest firmware.
I have done again the "opkg install kmod-ath10k-ct-smallbuffers " workaround.
But I am not sure if it is helping so much since the recent updates..

My WIFI is dead too often. Maybe it is time for a new router...

when wifi crashes have you verified it runs out of memory with the commands
free
to see free memory or
dmesg
to see the kernel log?

I am surprised that the "smallbuffers" variant is not the default already...is this actually a rare issue?

either way I recommend you set a cron job to restart wifi every day, for example, at 6 AM

go in LuCI --> System --> Scheduled Tasks
and put this line

0 6 * * * wifi down && sleep 10 && wifi up

then go to System --> Startup
find cron in the list and click "Restart" in that row to restart cron
(this has to be done only if the Schedules Tasks list was empty before)

Thanks sir!

Indeed it is strange that the smallbuffers issue is not by default fixed in the firmware.

I could have wait for couple of weeks to see if the new firmware is performing better, but I have choosen to do the WIFI restart every morning.

Is this only restarting the WIFI or the complete router?

1 Like

as far as I know

wifi down
specifically disables the phy0 and phy1 interfaces
and
wifi up
enables them and reloads the driver / configuration

Hello guys!
I'm using DD-WRT on Archer C7 V2 US and I'm thinking about installing Openwrt, but I see it seems to have more problems than dd-wrt, although both don't have as many. I'm just looking for stable firmware with performance equal to the standard version. Would you recommend staying on DD-WRT or would Openwrt be better?
As the months go by, I think it could be better. Am I thinking right?