Wifi client connected to wireless ap+sta dont register hostnames

I believe i want the same. My dumb AP to show hostname for radio clients.
A had defined a static IP on DHCP for the dumb AP. So it gets DNS from DHCP. And my resolv.conf if different (as expected).

Interface lan

nameserver 192.168.1.254
search lan

But still no hostname on clients.

If static protocol is configured, then all settings are to be input manually, including DNS. Nothing is "coming from upstream" if you don't configure it.

This is the default, which means that for local queries the dnsmasq running on the router itself should be asked.

Ping the host from the dumbAP and check again.
Chances are there is no arp entry.

What should be configured for DNS settings that would allow the dumbAP to display the hostname of any device that connects through its WiFi assuming the dumbAP is configured with a static IP?

You're right. I had the dumbAP LuCI overview in via through my browser while i was also connected to it via SSH. As soon as I pinged my the device connected through its WiFi interface, the hostnames temporarily became available and had an appended ".lan" to it.
Moments after I ended the ping, the hostname reverted to what it was before (check images in my prost above). WTF?

I think I have described what my intention is:

1. Have the dumbAP show correct hostnames
  2. Force DNS so that clients can't arbitrarily start lookups using their locally configered DNS servers.

I just need to know how to get this work correctly on my Router + dumbAP setup. I would prefer to keep my dumbAP a static lease to make it easier to manage (no need to guess the IP address).
Help!

You were right. When i ping, it shows hostname (and IPV4). Now that i realized there is no IPV4 on radio client. Strange that there is IPV6 on it (local - fe80...). Should i remove IPV6 from both deviced (router and dumb AP)? My internet connection is PPPoE, only IPV4. I need to learn about IPV6. And hope IPV6 became a reality soon.

Is there something i can do on dumb AP to show hostname and IPV4? MAC and IPV6 are quite difficult to deal.

Thank you for your help.

My main router shows ".lan" to almost all deviced, even to radio clients (not just the ones on dumb AP).

Strange, since we both want the same things maybe we can post our configs in the hopes that someone knows what to do. But there is certainly something different about your setup since your main router shows .lan suffixed to the clients. Does this apply also to non-radio clients (hard-wired as well).
You probably have some setting in your OpenWrt router. By default it shouldn't be doing this.

The device which runs the dhcp and dns in that network.

Have ping scan run regularly or some arpwatch to update the arp table.

https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/services/dns/intercept

It is not mandatory, but you could.

It is the default domain name.

1 Like

Any tips on how to do it easily?

I haven't done it, but check package addrwatch

This is a tool similar to arpwatch. It main purpose is to monitor network and
log discovered ethernet/ip pairings. Addrwatch is extremely useful in networks
with IPv6 autoconfiguration (RFC4862) enabled. It allows to track IPv6
addresses of hosts using IPv6 privacy extensions (RFC4941).