WiFi Adapter Mode: is it possible to wirelessly bridge a single device?

I have a wired computing device that I would like to attach to my wireless network. I also have a WiFi repeater device that has an RJ-45 Ethernet jack and a pair of wireless antennae. Normally, the repeater is designed to connect to the existing LAN through its wire and transmit to wireless devices through its antennae in access point mode. I would like to use OpenWRT to reverse this order. I want my repeater device to use OpenWRT to connect to the existing LAN through its wireless interfaces and relay this communication through its wired interface to my wired-only computing device.

So far, the closest configuration I have achieved has been to set my repeater as a wireless bridge client with a separate network address scheme as well as its own DHCP server. This works well for allowing the wired computing device behind the repeater to communicate out to the internet. Unfortunately, my original network cannot easily discover the computing device and its services because they are separated into a different sub-network.

Is there a way to wirelessly bridge the two LAN topologies so the bridge client does not need its own network address scheme or DHCP? If Wireless Bridge Mode cannot do this, could we instead develop a WiFi Adapter Mode? This would turn a device running OpenWRT into a simple translator to enable a single wired computing device to connect to a wireless network as a DHCP client.

All the info you need is in the Wi-Fi extender / repeater / bridge configuration guide.

I have read through the article you provided, but it requires separate network addresses for each configuration:

LAN interface of the relayd device MUST be on a different subnet for relayd to work (since it is routing traffic, it expects 2 different subnets).

the LAN interface must be set in a different subnet than the Wi-Fi network you are connecting to.

Or am I misunderstanding the need for the separate subnet? Does only the device running OpenWRT need to be on its own network scheme while still allowing downstream devices to call to the original router's DHCP service to stay on the same network?

The options are WDS/ 4addr and relayd, the former is (considerably) better - but requires OpenWrt routers/ APs/ extenders throughout.

1 Like

Im doing this using mesh. the only downfall is you lose a radio on your router/AP as it can only be used for the mesh. So that may not be the option you are looking for. But it works great and all my devices (wired and wireless) are in the same subnet and with only 1 DHCP server.