Wi-Fi Dongle Compatibility Inquiry for Router Project

Hello,

I am working on a project to configure a Mikrotik HEX S router (RB760iGS), which involves creating vulnerabilities for my students to exploit.

For one of the practical exercises I'm setting up, I need a Wi-Fi dongle for my routers.

I already have a rough idea of what my lesson will entail:

Lab - Wireless Mode to monitor, test, and simulate an attack on a wireless network (e.g., Aircrack-ng) between two routers:

Practical Configuration: Set up two routers in wireless mode with distinct SSIDs. Enable Wi-Fi security and use tools like Aircrack-ng to test and simulate attacks.

Technical Aspect: Use tools like Aircrack-ng to test Wi-Fi password security, examine security protocols (WEP, WPA, WPA2), and learn how to protect against attacks.

So my questions are:

• Do you have any advice for choosing a Wi-Fi dongle that can crack WEP, WPA, WPA2, or even WPA3? Can it be configured for both data reception and transmission?

• Is there a website listing dongles compatible with the latest version of OpenWRT and the HEX S router? I would like to create a compliance matrix with several dongles to find the best solution for my needs.

I hope I have been clear. If you need more details, I am at your disposal!

Thank you for your future responses.

1 Like

Thank you for your response!

I wanted to know if this table also includes dongles and if we can filter the existing dongles, or if it's just routers?

https://openwrt.org/toh/views/toh_extended_all

No it doesn't.

But it'd filter on USB ports, which you'll need, if you're not sticking with your existing hw.

1 Like

If you are 'teaching' let's get some nomenclature straight because any and all students that dismiss that question out of hand should get an automatic A+.

'Dongles' don't 'crack' encryption.
I could go on a tear on some of the other questions but I just got up and I've learned I don't write nice things before coffee and breakfast.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.