Why do you close every topic in 10 days once "I" reply to it

An unanswered question seems an unanswered question. Why all the sharp focus on closing topics and what do I get the 10 day close-notice when I add a question to an open topic that has been open for some time already?. For example if I want to know what power adapter goes on a WRT54G, then who is to say my question has a time limit or is not longer valid tomorrow or next month or actually in 2026 if someone finds one of these and wants a power supply for it? This seems to most "anxious to close" of any forum I participate in. What lives will be impacted if the topics don't get closed in 10 days? How will the operation of OpenWRT grind to a halt if some topic is not closed? Or how many good things can someone else be doing besides making sure topics are closed?

1 Like

Note to Moderator: this thread probably belongs in site feedback?

There's an effort to keep threads "on topic" and "question and answer" to make the forum searchable for answers in the future. To not "muddy the waters" on the answers, when a topic is marked as "answered", it gets the 10 day auto close applied to it.

If you are specifically referring to this thread:
Configure IPv6 DNS address for DHCP to send to clients - Installing and Using OpenWrt / Network and Wireless Configuration - OpenWrt Forum
The reply marked as the "solution" answers the question in the OP (and i assume yours as well).
If you came across that thread in a months time (after it closed) and didn't understand it, it is perfectly valid to create another thread called "Don't understand DNS advertisement via DHCP in IPv6" and refer to that existing thread. Once someone has explained the answer, it gets marked and solved and gets archived off as another resource on the subject.

If a thread is closed and you feel it really shouldn't be, there's also the helpful moderator team who i'm sure would be happy to re-open a thread if a good reason is given.

The "I" in your title sounds like you're taking thread closing as a personal attack. I can almost assure you no one is sitting around following your specific activity and closing threads on you.

6 Likes

Probably the thread is targeting a no longer supported OpenWrt release.
The differences in running services, available settings, UI and API can be huge.

This typically leads to necroposting with irrelevant or controversial replies.
As a result, the discussion becomes confusing and counter-productive.

Sometimes there can be a conclusive reply serving as an acceptable solution.
Try the proposed solution and open a new thread if it doesn't work for you.

My forum search-foo might not be impeccable, but I only see one topic with a reply of yours being closed this month (I could search further, but I assume something recent has triggered your complaint, so I've used 2021-08-01 as start for my search range), barely an indication that someone appears to be out trying to get you. Admittedly, at least my search results didn't come up with anything WRT54G related, so that search may have been incomplete.

In general, necro-posting to a thread that fizzled out (apparently in success) three years ago, pulls it back into the eyes of potential responders - who may notice that the OP's original question had been solved. That may very well lead to the conclusion that this thread is indeed solved, with the accordingly marked post as the solution. So to your (hypothetical?) WRT54G power-brick question, if someone indeed provided the specifications of this device's PSU (voltage, amperage, polarity, ideally the dimensions of the barrel plug), there wouldn't be a reason to keep this thread open (and marked unresolved). Marking a thread solved serves (at least-) two main purposes, on the one hand it adds a summary/ link to the post providing the answer to the start post (helping anyone stumbling on it via a search engine to locate it, without wading through >600 posts (not rare for threads on this forum)), on the other hand it sets the auto-close timer for this threads to ten days (the question is answered, no need for further discussion). Urging to close settled topics has a couple of reasons, foremost it's supposed to prevent meta-discussion, un- or at best semi-related questions clogging a thread (start a new one for different questions), trying to keep spammers at bay (who often choose 'forgotten' threads to add their link spam, hoping it doesn't get noticed by a human (but still ends up in search results)) and to keep the technical and social costs at bay (OP and previous responders are alerted to this new post, depending on their settings per mail or forum notifications - that is nuisance for a long forgotten post that has been resolved years ago). Keep in mind there's always the option to reference the closed/ existing thread, which adds a trackback link there to your new inquiry.

3 Likes

I wouldn't expect anyone was interested in what I do to the point of closing my specific threads but with an above-grade development team I would expect there might be tiers or of even a component of "AI" that somehow grades the value of one's entries, subject-wise or content-wise, and values one over another. Not saying it happens but saying it can happen. The moment someone comments on a 2 year old thread that has remained open 2 years and at that instant it goes into the 10 day countdown, something appears awry.

My issue with the feature is that it is a bit of a psychological "fly on the family turkey dinner" that adds a flavor of some game-show rather than promoting an intelligent exchange of ideas.

There's no conspiracy.
FYI, each new reply bumps the thread here:
https://forum.openwrt.org/latest
And theads on the top attract more attention.

1 Like

By posting to this thread, you've drawn attention to it - which in turn resulted in someone noticing that it was answered and now marking it accordingly.

This is indeed one of the threads that really should be closed, let's look at it.

• OP asking a question in December 2017 (so probably using LEDE 2017.01.x), no answer.
  • Someone else adding a $me-too a year later in December of 2018 (probably using OpenWrt 18.06.x), which was quickly answered with a link to the corresponding wiki page (no further response from either the OP, nor the second participant - so presumably it was resolved to their satisfaction (the OP might have wandered elsewhere, but at least the second participant's request probably is)).
  • Now you add a $me-too in August 2021 (either using OpenWrt 19.07.x or 21.02~rc, I hope), without any further explanation what you tried, what failed, what's unclear in the referenced wiki documentation. Most likely you would have (needed to) added a more comprehensive problem description, had you started a new thread.

This is a prime example why keeping these threads lingering on doesn't really help, as rather than providing an in-depth report, it only gathered a rather un-actionable addition, remaining unclear if the problem is related to the previous posters.

5 Likes

If the issue is clearly stated, people with pay attention and reply...

If not than maybe you should ask differently...

Trust me, if you ask worthy questions, answers will come forward, that's the nature of this forum...

And people here are respectful, regardless of the question or issue.

1 Like

Least we waste too much more time regarding everyone involved, my "issue" I now discover is that the so-called "solution" which appeared (from all indications) to be simply a re-posting of the original question. What I didn't catch is the "solution" included a thin blue line which actually looked like a topic heading, but in reality was a hyperlink to another thread which I have yet not been able to wrap my head around.

But back to old questions. Paraphrased, the question was "how can I add a 3rd party DNS in IP6 like I do when I add a IP4 DNS address". Here we compare this simple curiosity to all the historic questions about how one simply adds e.g. a OpenDNS to an OpenWRT panel - very easy for IP4. Now there may be indeed an answer to this question in the reference material, but it wasn't clear. And I can't speak to cost paid for the regiment of work that these question and answer sessions demand, because I am only a casual observer for the most part. Still it seems as I have stated historically that perhaps too much effort goes into the semantics of procedure often causing the ultimate goal to be lost of simply helping people out when they have a problem with best case scenario, as many formalities to the side.

Still no talk, however, on why in a regimented environment such as this, a thread can remain open for 2 years (speaking of the subject that triggered this thread). Open threads will I suppose always generate such levels of heated discussion. I often use the example of "will this size tire fit on this size rim for my 1955 Chevy". That question remains as relevant today as it did in 1956 and as it will remain tomorrow. From all perspectives, bumping the thread to the top of a priority list serves a dual purpose because it not only prods all the original people taking part in the original discussion but by shooting the topic to the top of today's priority list, it adds a whole new crop to the list of participants who may not have been around in 1956 or certainly never looked into past postings to that level and at the same time who may just have the answer. Of course all this is speaking metaphorically because OpenWRT obviously came along quite a bit later than the '55 Chevy.

2 Likes