Why can't pi-hole be installed on router itself?

I've been getting my new router setup with OpenWrt and making some small steps towards other network improvements alongside. I was sort of surprised not to see pi-hole show up in the list of available packages. At Install Pi-hole along OpenWrt? - #3 by trendy a regular member of the board even says:

You can install [pi-hole] along (e.g on a Raspberry Pi) but not on OpenWrt.

Is there a particular reason that pi-hole can't be run on this particular Linux distribution? Is it just a matter of typically limited router Flash size that could be bypassed by setting up a containerized pi-hole on a USB drive? Or is there some sort of unavoidable conflict as far as the networking stack itself goes?

First of all, while not the same, there is luci-app-adblock providing this functionality.

pi-hole itself is not packaged for OpenWrt, upstream doesn't really lend itself to easy packaging and would require a rather heavy dependency chain, too heavy for many/ most of the devices usually targeted by OpenWrt.

7 Likes

You could always set up LXC and run a Debian instance and then put pie hole on that.

Alternatively compile your own version of openwrt using docker Compatible layer they now support.

If you're handy, you could also get a life time free Oracle cloud instance, and host the pihole on "internet".
By doing so, you'd able to block ads on your cell phone, and other devices as well, while beeing on the road.

Obviously there's a learning curve, but it's not rocket science.

The free hosts are only available in their US data centers, and you can only have a maximum
of two active instances per account ( = email address).

10GB/mo traffic is included, which is more than enough.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.