Why Asus RT-N56U B1 is not supported?

I read that ASUS RT-N56U B1 was flashed with snapshots from ASUS RT-AC57U. Read about it here.

Router doesn't boot with snapshot, but latest stable from https://downloads.openwrt.org/releases/19.07.3/targets/ramips/mt7621/ started just fine.

Two issues so far:

1. Ethernet ports order is incorrect:
    LAN4 detected as WAN
    LAN3 detected as LAN1
    LAN2 detected as LAN2
    LAN1 detected as LAN3
    WAN detected as LAN4
  2. Only power LED works.

So it's seems like support of this router can be easily added to OpenWRT. Is anyone have idea how to adjust dts to fix these two issues?

You can try a sample dts. But I don't really understand this.
*** Another problem - only one USB port is working.

Are you going to do dts? It's been over a year now.

Well, it is a bit complicated. It is used by my friends at an office...

1 Like

Please do what you can.

Look here.

Can you test this 19.07.3 for rt-n56ub1 image?

EDIT: firmware updated Oct 30: switch config.was corrected,

I'll try. But I don't know how quickly I can do it.

Is there a web interface? Or does it need to be installed manually?

Yes. Wifi without password is on by default. Total package list in manifest file.

1 Like

Flash only through tftp. You only need to configure the connection from the console.

Flash instruction:

For Windows:

Install ASUS Firmware Restoration
Put the router into recovery mode by turning it on with the reset button held down (the power indicator will start blinking).
Insert the cable from the PC into the LAN4 port and set the IP address on the PC network card: 192.168.1.75.
Download the openwrt-ar71xx-generic-xxx-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin image using the ASUS Firmware Restoration utility.
Restore the settings of the network card on the PC as it was before the image was loaded.
Go to the web interface in the browser to configure it at 192.168.1.1.

For Linux:

Launch Terminal
Install the tftp server (if not) with the command: sudo apt install tftp-hpa
Put the router into recovery mode by turning it on with the reset button held down (the power indicator will start blinking).
Set the following ip-address on the pc: 192.168.1.75
Put the image in the root of your home directory.
Download image: tftp -4 -v -m binary 192.168.1.1 -c put openwrt-ar71xx-generic-xxx-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin
Restore the settings of the network card on the PC as it was before the image was loaded.
Go to the web interface in the browser to configure it at 192.168.1.1.

Router has been working without problems for more than 20 days. There are no problems at all. There is not a single complain about his work. Thank you very much 123serge123.

Is there patches available somewhere? Also, did you tried to apply your patches to current master?

I've used imagebuilder for test firmware. So there isn't source tree patch. Only dts-file is included.

Since it works, maybe it makes sense to submit it to OpenWRT master?

I don't have this device. So I'm not planning to submit patches.

I guess it's should be possible to obtain this specific hardware revision via Avito, and if you are interested I can cover expenses.

Thx but there exist more modern and intersting models.