Why are there barely any tutorials?

Oh yes, right, mhm. I'm totally supposed to know what a Cron Job is right off the bat being new to it. Unless you don't speak English natively (I can tell you don't), it isn't that hard to understand what a reboot scheduler means. Reboot, to restart. Scheduler, a procedural plan that indicates the time and sequence of each operation finished on schedule. It is self-explanatory.

A what keyboard?

As for the hex editor, I don't have the time to go through that. I did it the suggested way.

I am aware. Not in a folder? No. It isn't in one. If the file is in the base of drive C:\ for example, it isn't in a folder. The tutorial for my router stated to have the 2 .image files in a folder named 'td-w8970', but the one for the 9980 never stated to do this (which you aren't supposed to.) So they were in my usb's G:\ directory, no folder.

Yes. I am aware everyone can see, but I am replying directly to you. Stop being condescending for no utter reason.

This is an example of what I mean by a concise and easy guide for something, as compared to the wiki's page about QoS.

1 Like

Credits: 50% credit goes to the official openwrt SQM documentation and rest 50% to Wikipedia

Teaching networking for over 10 years to 1000's of students... i almost never gave any notes ( or at least "click A", click "B", click "C").

Students like you hated it... The other ones learn't how to fish.

4 Likes

LOL. You "tell" wrong - I'm a native speaker of American English. Enjoy OpenWrt. Maybe I'll add some slang...

Correct; but it's hard (still) to understand why you want to schedule a cron job to reboot a router, which should not need rebooting under normal conditions (you can search the forum for many topics on this).

You also said you didn't want to type commands into the Scheduled Tasks window too - once shown the location on the web GUI, so I suggested you wanted:

(I apologize, this was slightly facetious and sarcastic...but I think you need to contribute what needs to be programmed; that's more buttons for others to learn, though.)

Can you show others, so they're not lost - looking at a thread that just stops?

Oh yes, the base C:\ is a folder!

It's called root (hence a slash):

It exists in a lot of other computer concepts as well.

I advise this to all new users, you can simply search that too - no condescending tenor implied. I thought to say: "your choice" on my original post - guess I shoulda! (there's the slang!)

3 Likes

Preach, Professor!

:clap:

I'm scared the OP might turn on NAT offloading and wonder why it's broken (hint: search the forum)...

4 Likes

Sorry, but this is a bit too far fetched. A pilot gets a lot of info regarding usage of the plane; he does not need to read its drawings. Is there any detailed functional docs for procd/ubus activities on openwrt, for example ?
Or do you better read the source code of procd/ubus, to understand usage or functionality ?

1 Like

Multiple reasons:

• The developer community has no incentives to write tutorials (they know how things work after all)
  • The power user audience neither (they know how things work or even implemented them themselves)
  • Among a large chunk of the more knowledgeable people, simple UI aspects are either neglected or actively frowned upon

As for the initial OP's question, when I google for openwrt reboot scheduler, the first hit is Scheduled Reboot Package? which contains both links to the appropriate wiki documentation, discussions of technical caveats and improved variants of the given solution.

Can we close this thread now? It does not appear to go anywhere. Neither does complaining about a lack of tutorials lead to tutorials getting written, nor does insulting the OP help with solving the OP's problem.

10 Likes

I've been using OpenWrt for years, I am currently using it on several devices, I have a rather exoteric and over-complicated setup over here; but I do not know anything at all about procd/ubus, much less about its source code.

No, a pilot does not need to read the drawings to be able to pilot a plane, and a user does not need to read OpenWrt's source code to be able to use it. But a pilot has been trained as a pilot before piloting a plane, and a user should be expected to know about networking before tinkering with a highly customizable router.

8 Likes

Missing from that list is that the wiki's usability for content creators is terrible.

• Repeated requests for a WYSIWYG editor have been dismissed.
  • Trying to upload and use images is painful, at best.
  • Trying to cross-link within the wiki, or link to external content is awkward.
  • The layout syntax is both very limited and obscure.

A wordy description of using LuCI? No screenshots? Yes, I agree, that is hardly user friendly.

However, I know how long it took me to create the OEM-to-OpenWrt walkthrough with screenshots at https://openwrt.org/toh/linksys/linksys_ea8300 -- hours.

No wonder there aren't screenshots of how to accomplish basic tasks using LuCI.

Look at how often screenshots get posted here. Snap, paste, go.

Between the pain in working with the wiki and that LuCI/UCI rewrites config files, stripping comments and changing format (making a "diff" of config close to useless), there's plenty of disincentive to use LuCI on a stable, running system.

Yes, I use LuCI instead of documentation, as there aren't any "canonical" examples of config for many use cases on the wiki. But hitting "save" on any "production" device is counterproductive for me. Would I like to be able to guide a user with screenshots, of course. But the cost to restore my own config is too high, so I leave it to people that don't manage their config files.

Which highlights another problem with the wiki -- its search tools are close to useless.

The full-text results are so useless that I never even look at them. They're usually filled with ToH data that isn't relevant

Just try to find that on the wiki.

I once tried to figure out procd, but there was no documentation past some ancient design sketches. I finally found http://wiki.prplfoundation.org/wiki/Procd_reference (later removed, but archived at https://web.archive.org/web/20180411225312/http://wiki.prplfoundation.org/wiki/Procd_reference)

6 Likes

I have offered help in creating pages in the wiki, but I don't remember seeing any requests for help.

You omit that a reason has been given for that. As long as the ckgedit interferes with the dataentries, WYSIWYG is no option.
< sarcasm > Since we are talking about open source plugins: Feel free to fix ckgedit and make it work with the dataentries!< /sarcasm > :wink:

I have no clue what would be awkward about that. -vvv please.

-vvv please.

Of course, if you are using them wrong.

Then why don't you filter them out? It just needs two clicks.

First link:

And if you don't like the wiki search, why not use google (or the searchengine of your least distrust) instead? 2nd big link on the first page.
grafik

1 Like

I don't know networking. Plain and simple.

"You can "tell"" Yes. You apparently don't know how to speak if you quotate that as if it isn't natural to speak that way.

C:\ is not a folder. It is the base directory of the drive.

You're contributing nothing to my original topic at all. You're just trying to pick apart everything I am saying.

Why would I turn off NAT offloading?

The wiki just has a very old design thats never been changed and is not user-friendly at all. I agree.

You still don't understand it. As a pilot, I NEED to be trained to fly it, because it can result in deaths.

OpenWRT? You don't need training at all in networking. You just need a community to make it simplistic and user-friendly to install and use it. Like Ubuntu or Linux Mint forums, it is very simplistic, the commands you enter into the terminal are straight forward.

For OpenWRT? It isn't the same way. It is much more complex to set something up rather than entering a sudo get-apt command to install and configure something.

LuCI needs better documentation and explaination, as does the wiki. It just automatically assumes everyone knows how to enter commands or what they do or how to configure things in it. That shy's people away from using OpenWRT and going for DD-WRT or Tomato, because they have easier-to-understand GUI's and have better explainations.

https://depts.washington.edu/engl/askbetty/changing_quotations.php

See example No. 2 (i.e. writer changing "can tell" to "cannot tell"). Also, you failed to appreciate the slang. :smiley:

the path is relative from the root of the current drive. Otherwise, the path is relative to the current directory.

While reading and using context clues, think hard to answer: "if the file is at \ - what is that called?"

No, I'm making note that you seem to make your own terms; and additionally noting that: you are the person responsible for making these contributions!

Be mindful of this when editing/creating Wiki pages.

Incorrect, you didn't read correctly (as I was talking to wulfy23). It's off by default...again you proved you didn't search. If you turn it on, you may have issues with the traffic shaping. I had a genuine worry for you. :heart:

I'll agree to disagree and wish you well. Again, apologies if you take anything as condescending.

2 Likes

In regards to tutorials, I will admit one thing - at the same time I think these are uncommon and extremely advanced:

• IPIP tunnels
    • using a modified RIP to address the remote endpoints onlink, only C code provided to me (only OpenWrt, as I can cross-compile the dameon)
  • Policy-based routing (only seen GUI access in OpenWrt)
  • VLAN trunking (honestly, I think OpenWrt has more documentation on this and the switch GUI is straightforward, I never understood the DD-WRT GUI)
  • Wireguard (so far, only OpenWrt has this fully-implemented into a GUI) - and this is rather new technology/software
  • WPA3 - new, and as far as I know first implemented here
  • Exactly which "extra options" pass to the firewall and in what instances (had to learn this to reduce all my rules into the UCI - but this was more so learning iptables)

Otherwise, even the most advanced configs, I've found in the Wikis.

1 Like

I strongly disagree with that point of view...

No, I do not need that, everything is perfect for me; perhaps that is what you need...

4 Likes

Would it be of any help for you, if there was a search-field which executes the search only in the /docs/ namespace?
This would save you from the unwanted /toh/ results and having to do 2 additional clicks for filtering for the /docs/ namespace.

Check it out: https://openwrt.org/playground/documentation

2 Likes

Not to mention for the rest of the people that don't know that such a filter exists!