White light on GoFlex Home

When OpenWrt 18.06.2 boots up on my GoFlex Home unit a steady white light comes on in addition to the green light. This does not happen with any other installation.

Just wondered if anyone knew what this signified...

Check /etc/config/system to see what that LED has set for its trigger.

If that isn't clear, check what the trigger is explicitly (you'll need to change the LED name to match your device)

jeff@office:~$ cat /sys/class/leds/tp-link\:green\:qss/trigger 
none switch0 timer default-on [netdev] usbport phy0rx phy0tx phy0assoc phy0radio phy0tpt phy1rx phy1tx phy1assoc phy1radio phy1tpt 
2 Likes
root@OpenWrt:~# cat /etc/config/system

config system
	option hostname 'OpenWrt'
	option timezone 'UTC'
	option ttylogin '0'
	option log_size '64'
	option urandom_seed '0'

config timeserver 'ntp'
	option enabled '1'
	option enable_server '0'
	list server '0.openwrt.pool.ntp.org'
	list server '1.openwrt.pool.ntp.org'
	list server '2.openwrt.pool.ntp.org'
	list server '3.openwrt.pool.ntp.org'

config led 'led_health'
	option name 'health'
	option sysfs 'status:green:health'
	option default '1'

config led 'led_fault'
	option name 'fault'
	option sysfs 'status:orange:fault'
	option default '0'

That doesn't give much away.

It tells you that it is using whatever the default is for that LED, as UCI isn't overriding it.

Edit:

Once you check the trigger as suggested, I believe you'll find that it corresponds to

+               misc {
+                       label = "status:white:misc";
+                       gpios = <&gpio1 8 GPIO_ACTIVE_LOW>;
+                       linux,default-trigger = "disk-activity";
+               };
root@OpenWrt:/sys/class/leds# ls -al
drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root             0 Mar 13 19:05 .
drwxr-xr-x   33 root     root             0 Mar 13 19:05 ..
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root             0 Mar 13 19:05 status:green:health -> ../../devices/platform/gpio-leds/leds/status:green:health
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root             0 Mar 13 19:05 status:orange:fault -> ../../devices/platform/gpio-leds/leds/status:orange:fault
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root             0 Mar 13 19:05 status:white:misc -> ../../devices/platform/gpio-leds/leds/status:white:misc

It certainly looks like "white" in your list should make which one to check reasonably clear.

1 Like

Since I only have a flash based system, constant disk activity sounds like it will wear the flash out very soon....

Should I be worried? :slightly_smiling_face:

• ...isn't the GoFlex Home a NAS?
  • You have a hard disk drive, don't you?
  • Writing, yes
  • Reading, no

I surmise it's mostly reading...and/or writing to /tmp - especially since you failed to mention your HDD.

There is no HDD, not at the moment anyway. I'm just using it to provide a minimal version of Linux when I need one.