Which router for 10GB fibre connection

I soon will have 10GB fibre connection.

My provider writes (this is Google Translate)

Fiber optic connection (FTTH)

In the router configuration menu, DHCP option 60 must be configurable for the WAN interface and set to 100008,0001. In addition, the VLAN ID must be set to VLAN ID 10.
Supported fiber optic technologies

Depending on the network expansion situation, the Swisscom network supports the following fiber optic technologies:

10 Gbit / s technology XGS-PON according to ITU standard G.9807.1
 1 Gbit / s technology point to point according to IEEE 802.3-2008, clause 58, 59

Attention: Only routers and modules certified by xxx may be connected to the new 10 Gbit / s technology (XGS-PON). At the moment, only the Internet-Box 3 with the module supplied is suitable for this.

this is original:

Glasfaseranschluss (FTTH)

Im Router Konfigurationsmenü muss für die WAN Schnittstelle, die DHCP Option 60 konfigurierbar und auf 100008,0001 gesetzt sein. Zudem muss die VLAN ID auf VLAN ID 10 gesetzt werden. 
Unterstützte Glasfaser-Technologien

Das Swisscom Netz unterstützt je nach Netzausbau-Situation folgende Glasfaser-Technologien:

10 Gbit/s Technologie XGS-PON nach ITU Standard G.9807.1
    1 Gbit/s Technologie Punkt zu Punkt nach IEEE 802.3-2008, clause 58, 59

Achtung: An der neuen 10 Gbit/s Technologie (XGS-PON) dürfen nur von xxx zertifizierte Router und Module angeschlossen werden. Im Moment ist dafür nur die Internet-Box 3 mit dem mitgelieferten Modul geeignet.

I searched the Forum for FTTH and it's written I can use my current router (see profile), because there will be an adapter for ethernet.

If speed to low what you recommend to upgrade?

If you look at the hardware description of your router you will find that it is limited to gigabit ethernet, so probably not the best choice for a 10GB link as you will leave quite a lot of bandwidth on the floor... That said, I am sure that the difference between 1Gbps and 10 Gbps is something you might see with heavy torrenting or dedicated bulk data transfers, but for normal interaktive use it should not be that noticeable...
But your challenge now is to find hardware that allows things like firewalling and traffic shaping at those speeds, which probably means a real PC with a capable x86_64 CPU and at least a dual port 10Gb ethernet card (plus a switch with >= 1 10 Gb port).
Now, all that said, in XGS-PON all subscribers on the same PON (up to 32 in Switzerland I believe) will share the same 10/10 Gbps speed, so figuring out proper settings for SQM is going to be dicy...
(Yes, I know, quite a lot of people get lucky with high-speed links and find low bufferbloat by default, but there still is value in e.g. cakes fairness/isolation modes that might make running cake still advisable...)

1 Like

thank you @moeller0 your posting very helpful.

I will downgrade the link from 10GB to 1 that it's easier OpenWRT configuration.

Do I understand correct with 1GB my current Router working fine? Because I also use WG for all traffic, which is also a bottleneck.

I not wish running a normal PC, because of power bill.

I did not say that, all I pointed out that your archer C7 is desperately out of its league on a 10Gbps link. For 1Gbps, I assume this to be too CPU starved to do anything useful, and even NAT/firewalling might require some offload engine (and I am not sure that SOC actually has such an engine to offload anything to).

Well with doing anything like WG and/or SQM at 1Gbps, you probably need to look at something more beefy, like a raspberry pi4B with an aditional USB4-Gigabit dongle, or a fully specced x86.

Well, your options are limited, if you want to properly exercise an 1-10Gbps access link, then...
Some weaker CPU SoCs try to make up with dedicated accelerators (aka offload engines), but these typically come at the cost of generality.

That said, I have been shaping a 100/40 link down to 49/31, as this was the maximum SQM rates I could robustly get out of my old router, so you can use your C7 on a Gbps-class link, but simply only use the ~120Mbps combined shaping it supports :wink:

2 Likes

Will it help if I remove SQM?
WG I can't remove because of privacy.

Sure traffic shaping is quite CPU intensive, so not using SQM will leave cpu cycles for other things. But I have no experience with WG so can not give you any guidance about its cpu-hunger.
But I would be amazed if your current router would allow WG in the gigabit range...
Have a look at Jeff's excellent performance tests, I believe your current router should be roughly equivalent to either the ramips or one of the ath79 platforms in Jeff's result pages...

2 Likes

I received fiber channel cable. But input into my router only ethernet.

The official router, which I wish not use (closed source) has input fibre channel.

I need to buy something like this?

https://www.amazon.com/fiber-ethernet-converter/s?k=fiber+to+ethernet+converter

That stuff quite expensive :-1:

Can you not use the official router in bridge mode.

then two devices use energy / power

sorry i am a militant environmentalist :blush:

1 Like

Mmmh, in passive optical networks (PON, e.g. GPON, XGS-PON, ...) you need a device to "terminate" the PON link, called ONU or ONT that is essential for the pon to work. Typically your ISP will supply you with such an ONT, which is an active powered device with its own power supply. In Germany's more traditional GPON the ISP often first creates a passive un-powered fiber socket that ends the fiber line to the PON splitter and into which the ONT needs to be plugged by fiber optic cable, the ONT itself only has traditional copper etherport(s) onto which one connects the actual router, the ONT basically works as a fancy mediu converter that also handles line/link identification/authentication and needs to be provisioned/registered with the ISP.
My question now is the following:
Do have an actived XGS-PON ONT with two fiber ports, one for the PON upstream link to the ISP and a second fiber ethernet one where you are supposed to plug in your router? Only in that situation it is worth researching media converter at all.
Looking in the swisscom community seems to imply that the ONT is included in the router and that currently swisscom has only approved two xgs-pon onts.
In other words it is probably time to figure out how to configure the swisscom router to act as "bridge" so it passes everything on to your "real" router.
I respectfully add that there is a lot of information to be found on the swisscom message boards and fora, where you might be more successful getting advice from folks who actually have first hand experience (in addition we are getting more and more out of the target are for this forum ;))

3 Likes

Ah come on, this is BS...

If you are a real environmentalist you would care for the total energy consumption more than for over how many devices this consumption is spread :wink:

5 Likes

Interestingly enough, one of those ONTs sounds like it might come in an SFP+ form-factor:

ADB SFP,SX-1001

I can't find much info on this ONT. It is briefly mentioned in this discussion:
https://community.swisscom.ch/t5/Internet-Allgemein/Wann-kommt-10-Gbit-s/td-p/614709/page/3

Probably easiest to just ask Swisscom. Most likely you will have to use one of the Swisscom approved ONTs. Those are the only ones that will be accepted by the OLT.

If you can get Swisscom to send you one of those SFP+ ONTs (possibly with a CPE to put it in...), then you might be able to use it in another CPE of your choice. If it appears as a standard SFP+. The experiences with xDSL and GPON SFPs are not the best, so this is a BIG if...

Then you might some day find an OpenWrt supported router with an SFP+ port, and use that ONT there. But SFP+ ports are still rare in CPE devices, and the OpenWrt supported ones can be counted on a woodwork teacher's left hand.

EDIT: Correction. According to https://community.swisscom.ch/t5/Router-Hardware/KMU-10Gbit-IB3-Centro-Business-2/m-p/629835#M31164 the SX-1001 is an 1Gbps SFP only. Which makes some sense, but makes it pretty useless if the idea is to get > 1Gbps over the XGS-PON.

1 Like

I would suggest the ISP router might use the same or less power than those crappy media converters you linked earlier.

Will provide you with a backup of your own router fails.

Will provide with a telephone service.

You will be only using one LAN port which so probably using only 25% of the rated power of the device.

Reading the specs the fastest LAN port is only 2.5Gbps so I don't think you need to worry about 10Gbps. That speed seems to be a lot of marketing. The other ports are just 1Gbps

Finally if your an environmentally minded.

Limit your plan to just 1Gbps going up to the higher speed is just going to consume a lot more power that I doubt you can justify

3 Likes

Add to this the fact that on PONs the ONT needs to be actively provisioned by the ISP, so none of the standard ethernet fiber to copper converters will actually work :wink:

It is, swisscom uses XGS-PON with a total bandwidth of 10/ Gbps up-/10Gbpsdown-load with a (maximum) segment size (split-factor) of 1:32, so the nominal 10Gbps are gross theoretical top speeds anyway and in no way guaranteed, and given that the only router doesn't even offer a 10Gbps LAN port it seems clear that the end-user is not intended to actually source or sink these nominal 10 Gbps....

Just had a look, but that swisscom pricing structure is insane:
L: (90 CHF/month): 10/10 Gbps
M: (80 CHF/month): 0.2/0.2 Gbps
S: (65 CHF/month): 0.05/0.05 Gbps
currently there is a special price of 59 CHF independent of speed.

Given that I can not fault the OP with going to the L-plan... Now, since 10/32 = 0.3125 Gbps maybe the M plan is not too bad (as the segment capacity should, if using fair queueing between subscribers always allow ot satisfy the 0.2/0.2 rates the plan promises), but given the price delta, I probably would not bother....

2 Likes

First thing to do would be to downgrade your fiber then. Lower throughput = less energy consumption.

2 Likes

Probably not going to help, as swisscom seems to roll-out only XGS-PON, so the ONT is going to use the same modulation/laser/whatever independent of the contracted speed.

1 Like

If the ONT has a bridge mode you can use that, residential fiber networks are very restrictive and most of the time they have a whitelist with the serial numbers of their own ONTs so any other device will be blocked by the OLT

3 Likes

Thanks guys. Most stuff I didn't really understand, but anyway I get the direction.

Now the Swisscom router gives the IP (ipv4 upstream) to OpenWrt router. I didn't saw anything like bridge mode in advanced options, but it's working and I have 2 layers of firewall/security.

I did a downgrade of my subscription to M: (80 CHF/month): 0.2/0.2 Gbps

But I not get those 200Mb/sec

I also disabled SQM, I saw a speed improve after that. Screenshot is from downloading Linux ISO over torrent network.

As expected, your router is only good for around 100Mbps combined, and you have 400 Mbps combined...

1 Like

This means I need more powerful router hardware? I can't tune with LuCi the speed?

I can use this router as a repeater on the second floor Please help me troubleshoot wireless repeater bridge configuration and buy a more powerful router that can handle 400 Mbps combined?