On a self-built firmware (18.06.1) I tried to add OpenVPN, but when I click Services > OpenVPN > give a name and choose "Client configuration for routed multi-client VPN" and Add, it just shows a blank Basic Configuration page with Save and Apply, Save, and Reset buttons.
If I switch to Advanced Configuration, the four tabs are there (Service, Networking, VPN, Cryptography) but they are also blank with just Save and Apply, Save, Reset.
If I click Save and Apply it says "there are no changes to apply" and if I go back to Services > OpenVPN, there is no new row with my named vpn setup.
I have done opkg update, and opkg install openvpn-openssl, openvpn-easy-rsa, luci-app-openvpn, is there any packages I have left out? I also tried adding luci-i18n-openvpn-en but it had no effect so I removed it.
Edit: if I click Edit on one of the existing template rows like "sample_client" then the normal parameters appear to be there. So the question is, which packages are needed so that the templates in the Add drop-down will work?
Yes I knew that they "should" not be required but the pages themselves were blank so I thought maybe some other bug with the LuCI package caused NO language to be installed and this might help.
This was indeed brought in when I installed openvpn-easy-rsa but since I didn't actually need that, (already had my server certs, client certs, etc, generated long ago) it was, again, just to see if the LuCI pages somehow broke because of this being missing, and if installing it might help.
I'd be fine with that but I'm also trying to update some docs to my less techy users in the field so it would be better to keep it as similar as possible to my long-since-documented set of steps for getting routers onto my VPN going back to v.9 Barrier Breaker's LuCI OpenVPN pages. Yes it was convoluted but it was a known and documented convoluted.
Anyway as I said in post 3, the OpenVPN LuCI pages become "normal" if I upgrade luci-app-openvpn from the 18.06.1 version (git-18.228) to the current 18.06 branch's version (git-18.340). So the problem of this thread is solved, but leads to my post 12 git question over here