Which one of these routers is better and works best with OpenWrt?

yes, sounds smart. fair chance will be under 3-6 months before needing more grunt at the edge tho'

the overwhelming theme of hardware posts here over the last year is 'my internet is offering XYZ speed... tell me a device that will work (thats less than 100 dollars)'

using a modular approach... last week I doubled my wan speed with the click of a mouse and I could do that two more times without needing to touch the hardware...

i'm running a repurposed ipq806x/ac for wifi ( staying 12 months minimum behind the latest craze, only in recent month or so have I bothered to peek at wifi6 options )... cheap, robust, scalable

1 Like

Yes, you are right, sorry for being one more of that people asking for help in that aspect.
I have read a lot around here, but each case is a bit different.

You all here have opened my eyes about the most correct aproach, and for sure having a more modular aproach is the best.

But it will force me to do a lot of changes right now and configuration and buyin many equipments, when I don't have a real need as my connection speed is not so high (and you have said many good standard routers with all integrated will provide it).

As I can reuse it later, I think that the best is take an upgrading path and take it by steps, changin fist the main router and getting rid of the ISP router at all (or let them just as fiber modem), add the new one, then change the current unmanaged switch by a smarter one with vlan capabilities and at leas partially managed (and if possible POe in case the need arises to put an AP in a single room...).

But I will use all what I have learned here to design the communications in a new house that we are projecting.
I don't want the problems I have now.
All communications and the electricity cabinet has to be design in a dedicated place, accesible and out of the view. And a RAck cabinet is a good way to orginize things there (even when they are quite expensive). There you can put the ONT, the managed switch with POe with enough ports, and the main router (no wifi) with a RPi or similar solution. And then AP were needed and Cameras if you want.

context

yes... I installed my 'mdf/patch-panel' in the garage... 10 years ago

i tapped the phone line from the other side of the house there, installed a central filter...

years later I now use the 4 runs to the lounge room from that patch panel for dedicated links to: [downstairs-hfc-modem-wan>] [router] [>downstairs-ap-back-to-a-house-point] [>downstairs-into-main-switch-to-all-house-points]

there is also a small switch under the tv to make up for using all the wall ports for the router

it's a pain in the grass to go downstairs when the internet is down... this way all the key elements converge in the living room under the tv...

now when looking at cameras + newer poe+ ap's... i'll likely need to add an IDF (second panel in the house for poe switch and runs to the roof, probably DTB/tvheadend also)..

what's my point;

a) you don't HAVE to put the distribution panel where the modem is (but run's need to be in place to patch connections to the main places you might want them)

b) IDF's (secondary patch panels) are good things... the 24 port in the garage used to be noisy, thankfully these days it's possible most of it fanless

1 Like

I will try with the Belkin RT3200 and see if I get good results with it (configured as main router providing lan network with DHCP and DNS , and a iot isolated lan with DHCP and VLANs to get communication of the two lans from one part of the home to the opposite part where ther is another openWRT router, mosquitto installed in it and WireGuard).

I expect a decen 300MBps coverage using 5 GHz if the channel interference permit it.