Which 2.5gb managed switch?

Looking for a 10port minimum managed switch with 2.5gb support and poe

This will be used with an OpenWRT X86 router

What are the best options? I don't have a ton of networking experience, but I'll be setting up vlans and whatnot

1 Like

10 x 2.5GbE or 1x 2.5 uplink, and the rest 1GbE ?

Ideally all 2.5gb, but I'd like to compare both types of routers, price points, etc etc

Im interested in the topic as well. Planning on replacing my old mini-PC router with one that has dual 2.5Gb... and would like the external switch to match.

You may be aware of the Serve The Home folks, with their multitude of 2.5Gb switch test reviews. But, so far, theyre all unmanaged.

Almost a year later and no recommendation? I am toying with the idea of a small managed 2.5 GbE switch but am not finding one that is OW supported. According to the switch view of the toh, there are none.

Same thing here, planing to upgrade my home network (1GBit --> 2.5 GBit)
The only managed affordable (~200 Euro) switch I've found is the MikroTik CRS310-8G+2S+IN,
it's based on Marvell 98DX226S.
No sign of OW support so far.

First of all, managed switches are mainly targeting business usage, while 2.5GbE multi-Gig thing is home use (due to old cabling not capable to run 10G), it's quite normal that almost no managed 2.5GbE switch (or very expensive that you don't want to buy)

It's fine... I'm sure GbE is plenty for my needs, just didn't see anything and wanted to provide the link.

There isnt really a switch that will fit the original requirements. However if you are willing to push the POE out a little to another switch on a daisy chain - the requirements can be met.

The Zyxel XGS1250-12 has 8 Gigabit ports, 3 ports that will do 100M/1G/2.5G/10G and one port that is 10G. It is supported in 23.05.3 https://archive.openwrt.org/releases/23.05.3/targets/realtek/rtl930x/

You could then use one port as an uplink to a Zyxel GS1900-8HP / 10HP / 24 HP each giving 8, 10 or 24 POE ports, respectively. The GS1900 series are 10/100/1000 only, but for POE applications im going to assume you dont need 2.5G or 10G for POE devices. https://archive.openwrt.org/releases/23.05.3/targets/realtek/rtl838x/

So use the XGS1250-12 as your high speed, OW powered device and then use the GS1900-XXHP as your gigabit OW switch to power POE devices (needs realtek.-poe package installed to do POE).

Sure, all the POE devices will be limited to a collective 1Gb uplink to the XGS, but this combination is pretty much the only combo that will tick the requirements boxes.