Where can I "request" an update of an program from the "packages"?

I'm wondering where to turn when I want to "request" an update to an program in openwrt's "packages"?

I've stuck on an error on nmap 7.8, which is described here: https://github.com/nmap/nmap/issues/1764 , which apparently was fixed for a year ago Nmap 7.90 [2020-10-03].

how/when/why (and more) can I update / request the "packages" be updated?

likely spot, ping the package maintainer in your issue

2 Likes

Or author, compile and test the version upgrade by yourself, and then issue a Pull Request to get your changes accepted.

OpenWrt is a community effort...

4 Likes

I was just there, and searched for nmap to see if anybody has mentioned something about it, s and there o saw in the source code that 7.91 was the latest, so why isn't that available?

I'm very new at all this, so I'm more used to click and install, and have no idea how it all works..

7.91 is only in master, not 21.x

1 Like

I know that openwrt is a community effort, but as a newbie, is my knowledge very limited.
and I simply don't know how, that's why I'm asking..

Ok, well, as in wrote, be I'm new, and have no idea how it works, and therefore I'm asking..

how shall I proceed?

It is pretty common that package maintainers do not backport new versions to the stable branches. 21.02 is mainly stuff that was there in February 2021, but some packages have been upgraded also there since the branching.

So, the new package version is already there in the master branch, and you could use it you sysupgrade your firmware to the development master, instead of using the stable 21.02.0 release.

I wrote a backport/cherry-pick question to the original PR...

2 Likes

Thank you for the help, I have no idea what backport or cherry means.

So now it's only too wait and see what they say..

IF, they now don't solve this issue, is it possible to uninstall my nmap and manually install a newer version? (my knowledge is limited to Ubuntu)

For a userspace program, that is generally possible. Find the .ipk file for your CPU type under downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/packages/ and copy it to your router then install it manually.

yeah, cpu type, Intel(R) Celeron(R) 2955U @ 1.40GHz, is that an x86/x64 architecture?

Yes at least you should be running x86-64 on that chip. You can see the package directory the installed build is using in the URLs in /etc/opkg/distfeeds.conf

Then it would be https://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/packages/x86_64/packages/nmap-full_7.91-1_x86_64.ipk
is it dpkg that's used to install it with? (don't recognize the .ipk)

opkg install FILENAME

1 Like

yeah, opkg, for openwrt, dpkg was for debian/ubuntu..
Thx a lot for the information!

..and of course it didn't work, and now I'm confused again, I downloaded the file, but got this when installing:

• pkg_hash_fetch_best_installation_candidate: Packages for nmap-full found, but incompatible with the architectures configured

yet does the router say: x86_x64 GNU/Linux when I'm running uname..
any suggestions?

install and run OpenWrt(mainline) or get a device that does... otherwise contact your vendor...

That was then, now it's running 21.02R

1 Like

snapshot nmap is broken afaik anyways... (you would probably need one from a few weeks ago)

edit: looks like you may be in luck seems it might only be for aarch64

oh, nice, I just love broken things...