When OpenWrt-23.0X is planned to be branched off

we really hope to branch this month.... I hope to do it if everything goes OK with the WERROR pr...
Idea is to catch each related error in RC stage and enforce quality code onwards...

15 Likes

Hi what does the WERROR pr do? I have seen the PR, but don't understand it.

Thanks Ansuel for the update,

Is there any tentative date/week planned to branch off

it will be ready when it's ready

1 Like

Thanks devs for your hard work. The community really appreciates you! :wink:

2 Likes

We need to fix 2 more bug with gnutls and iptables-extra and we branch... The WERROR thing went well if everything goes smooth tomorrow should be the day... Then we plan to do an RC shortly after

6 Likes

Just noted this wireguard build error in my build environment ... seems to be related to the latest changes:

make[5]: Entering directory '/opt/openwrt-buildbot/BANANAPI_R3/source-master/build_dir/target-aarch64_cortex-a53_musl/linux-mediatek_filogic/linux-5.15.110'
  CALL    scripts/checksyscalls.sh
  CALL    scripts/atomic/check-atomics.sh
  CHK     include/generated/compile.h
  CC [M]  drivers/net/wireguard/allowedips.o
drivers/net/wireguard/allowedips.c: In function 'root_remove_peer_lists':
drivers/net/wireguard/allowedips.c:80:1: error: the frame size of 1040 bytes is larger than 1024 bytes [-Werror=frame-larger-than=]
   80 | }
      | ^
drivers/net/wireguard/allowedips.c: In function 'root_free_rcu':
drivers/net/wireguard/allowedips.c:67:1: error: the frame size of 1040 bytes is larger than 1024 bytes [-Werror=frame-larger-than=]
   67 | }
      | ^
cc1: all warnings being treated as errors
make[8]: *** [scripts/Makefile.build:289: drivers/net/wireguard/allowedips.o] Error 1
make[7]: *** [scripts/Makefile.build:552: drivers/net/wireguard] Error 2
make[6]: *** [scripts/Makefile.build:552: drivers/net] Error 2

@Ansuel Before this happens, I think the default BLOCKSIZE of the ramips target should be changed to 64k.

Update:
I opened a PR for this issue.

Strange that build not didn't catch this! Will see these warning are easy to fix

1 Like

can you tell me the kind of compiler you are using and the target/arch? on ipq807x i can correctly compile it and also no error from buildbot

Build host is a current debian sid (my private notebook):

root@t14s:/home/dirk# uname -a
Linux t14s 6.1.0-9-amd64 #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Debian 6.1.27-1 (2023-05-08) x86_64 GNU/Linux

root@t14s:/home/dirk# gcc -v
Using built-in specs.
COLLECT_GCC=gcc
COLLECT_LTO_WRAPPER=/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/12/lto-wrapper
OFFLOAD_TARGET_NAMES=nvptx-none:amdgcn-amdhsa
OFFLOAD_TARGET_DEFAULT=1
Target: x86_64-linux-gnu
Configured with: ../src/configure -v --with-pkgversion='Debian 12.2.0-14' --with-bugurl=file:///usr/share/doc/gcc-12/README.Bugs --enable-languages=c,ada,c++,go,d,fortran,objc,obj-c++,m2 --prefix=/usr --with-gcc-major-version-only --program-suffix=-12 --program-prefix=x86_64-linux-gnu- --enable-shared --enable-linker-build-id --libexecdir=/usr/lib --without-included-gettext --enable-threads=posix --libdir=/usr/lib --enable-nls --enable-clocale=gnu --enable-libstdcxx-debug --enable-libstdcxx-time=yes --with-default-libstdcxx-abi=new --enable-gnu-unique-object --disable-vtable-verify --enable-plugin --enable-default-pie --with-system-zlib --enable-libphobos-checking=release --with-target-system-zlib=auto --enable-objc-gc=auto --enable-multiarch --disable-werror --enable-cet --with-arch-32=i686 --with-abi=m64 --with-multilib-list=m32,m64,mx32 --enable-multilib --with-tune=generic --enable-offload-targets=nvptx-none=/build/gcc-12-bTRWOB/gcc-12-12.2.0/debian/tmp-nvptx/usr,amdgcn-amdhsa=/build/gcc-12-bTRWOB/gcc-12-12.2.0/debian/tmp-gcn/usr --enable-offload-defaulted --without-cuda-driver --enable-checking=release --build=x86_64-linux-gnu --host=x86_64-linux-gnu --target=x86_64-linux-gnu
Thread model: posix
Supported LTO compression algorithms: zlib zstd
gcc version 12.2.0 (Debian 12.2.0-14) 

Targets that I've tested so far:

• mediatek_filogic_bananapi-bpi-r3 (build Not OK)
  • ipq40xx_generic_glinet-gl-a1300 (build OK)

Compiler configured/used within the targets is always the latest gcc-12.

Edit: Until a fix will be provided, I've silenced the above mentioned warning/error with an additional CFLAG in my build environment, e.g. -Wno-error=frame-larger-than=

@dibdot can you create an issue and tag me about this? i don't see this error on buildbot and CI so i'm a bit confused.

Is the device source only?

I can announce OpenWrt-23.05 branched today!

15 Likes

Incoming ! :heart_eyes:

Get ready for the usual onslaught of "I just installed 23.05 and it's broken/missing packages/arrrhg!" posts that always follow creation of the label and precede the actual release...

@hauke, might want to post the 23.05 release announcement now with something like "NOT RELEASED YET, pending builds and testing" then edit in the real release announcement in when it happens.

1 Like

branched != tagged, the later will take weeks+, with several -rc versions.

4 Likes

I'm mostly concerned for targets that switched to DSA, or some that can't install 23.05 without internal changes (see MR8300 for example). Users will have issues if they don't read documentation.

2 Likes

I don't see how 23.05 would be any different from previous releases there :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3 Likes

compiled from

on ubuntu 22.04
for VMDK x86/64

with bunch of VPN and IPv6 protocols + SNMP + LLDPD

looks good for now

1 Like

Before the actual release (and associated release notes) how would one check to see if their target/subtarget/device has switched to DSA? I'm guessing it's either by searching git commits or by looking at the build configuration files.

I see that ipq806x's config-5.15 file has both CONFIG_NET_DSA=y and CONFIG_SWCONFIG=y, so which is it?

To be clear, yes, I know that this is not a release or even a release candidate, just a series of automated, untested, nightly snapshot builds. I'm familiar with master snapshots and branch snapshots.