What's your favourite cheap LEDE/OpenWrt device?

ZBTLINK Z100 AX v01 ( WIFI 6 / AX )

You can find at aliexpress for some 57,67 €

Product is with 3 * LAN + 1 WAN gigabits

Mediatek MT7621 - MT 7915e - MT7905D MT7975D
USB-3
WIFI AX
Serial port
Flash 16M Winbond + 256 M ram
Power 12 volts < 1 A

Interestingly, I followed your advice to get a DIR-860L, I may follow this as well, looks like it it quite capable for the money.

Cheers!

A friend of mine got one, seems to run stable in general and range is certainly better.
I've ordered two myself to compare the Linksys MR8300 ones I have. I think they're mainly interesting because ARM64 is a much better platform (including crypto extensions), SoC development seems to be progressing more than IPQ4*** (which works nice although there are some issues with the ethernet related subsystem) and WAVE 2 11ac should be fine too. The DIR-860L isn't bad (MT7621) but its starting to show its age and interest is declining so I would expect more issues further down the road.

1 Like

Ok, ordered one 870 SEK.

I see it's 280 euros now so definitely NOT a cheap device

Yes, it was on sale briefly.

Gave it a spin today, the included PSU feels really cheap (fire hazard-ish level) so I replaced that another one but other than that it's seems to perform really well. Compared to Linksys MR8300 it seems to have much better performance. I have two connected via WDS between two floors and the Totolink performs about 3 times better than the MR8300 downstairs (~95mbit vs ~270mbit). Hardware crypto also seems to be working although I'm not sure if that also includes the official snapshot images (GCC documentation is a bit unclear about what it enables by default by setting -mcpu=cortex-a53) since I compiled my own image (OpenSSL with all optimization enabled, -O2 instead of -Os for global optimization and lastly enforcing hardware crypto extentions, -march=armv8-a+crc+simd+crypto -mcpu=cortex-a53+crypto vs -mcpu=cortex-a53). Seems to have a very good bang for the buck ratio! =)
Firmware/Image based on commit: https://github.com/openwrt/openwrt/commit/dc2da6a23369c8da069321dcfd593a9cf8c993c6

3 Likes

The cheapest I could find is 280$

Not exactly a bargain :smiley: :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Maybe soon some comparable device coming out that is a bit more affordable

2 Likes

Also at 90$ i would theoretically have to pay 25$ to 30$ or so on taxes and fees. Theoretically, you never know...

For now Im equipped with two ipq4018 and for the experimental part of my soul a mi ax3600.

Would love to get my hands on an mtk7622, and the two 5GHz radios also sound great...

Infos sur la boutique
Raison sociale : Guangzhou jiachun maoyi youxiangongsi

@anon69880279 did you ever order from them? Seems it's a Chinese seller with warehouse in CZ.

So in the other thread it turned out it's a different type of router? Is it supported by openwrt?

It says "Routeur sans fil A8000RU" so that would be the same as the one I linked

@anon69880279
Historically first gen hardware have always buggy/dodgy so I'd rather go for Wave 2 11ac instead.

Since I am no kernel pro, I may be reading this wrong, but

seems to indicate no dsa support available, but:
https://lwn.net/Articles/883059/
may suggest there is support for it.

I dont know... maybe?

Is the WAN port 2.5Gbps but just not specified in the specs?

Isn't there just 2.5 Gbps between SoC and switch chip?

1 Like

More than likely I'm not interpreting the dts entry correctly.

Thx

Please use this topic only for recommendations.
For questions, please open a new topic.
For extensive discussions of devices, please open a new topic.

Before asking, please read https://openwrt.org/faq/which_router_should_i_buy

Thanks! :slight_smile:

1 Like

just to let you know that my TOTOLINK A8000RU converted to OpenWRT is amazing for the price (82€)
i didn't notice any bug, the wifi is very strong and works very well. if you want more info don't hesitate.

btw the manufacturer Firmware has a lot of hidden page, including one that enables telnet :
http://192.168.0.1/telnet.html
telnet and ssh password is : cs2012

the only negative point for me is its size, it is really huge :sob:

1 Like

They seem pretty expensive on Aliexpress now unfortunately.