What's your favourite cheap LEDE/OpenWrt device?

I'd say try the onion omega kit.

1x Omega
1x Expansion Dock
1x Ethernet Expansion

This is the way to go for about 40-45 $
Still trying to find out if omega 2+ is capable of 1Gbps

@r43k3n Just read the second link in my post. :slight_smile:

https://forum.armbian.com/index.php/topic/3025-building-openwrt-images-for-orange-pi-zero-with-the-armbian-kernel/page-2

If you build an AP or a wireless network bridge / CPE one eth is fine. And there is a lot of supported usb net stuff available in the market.

ZBT are fairly flexible in terms of MOQ and the 100 I've found is not set in rock.

I've made initial contact through Alibaba and ordered a couple of sample units to test initially and then placed an order of 20 each for two models which they were happy to deliver.

Yes, they are very nice for mesh nodes.

The MediaTek ones live in sweet harmony with the Atheros ones in a couple of our meshes. We use 802.11s as the 'connection' and run Batman-adv on top of that for the routing algorithm all managed centrally with a cloud controller.

Orange Pi Zero:

One ethernet and one wifi. Not much but barely enough to do routing... Firewall, mini server,

Right, and since this thread is about cheap, the OPi Zero is a lot of bang for two Starbucks Latte...

1 Like

Bought recently a TP-LINK TL-WR842ND.
Plenty of Flash and RAM, perfect if only using 2.4Ghz and ADSL (like 99% of the "normal" population ?).
Around 30 EUR.
LEDE could be flashed on it straight from the original firmware web interface.

1 Like

I wouldn't use the Orange Pi Zero as a wireless router of any kind at the moment. The driver for the radio is apparently pretty broken.

I'm using Xiaomi MiWiFi Nano (also called Youth Edition, model number R1CL) in a few places. It's got 64MB RAM and 16MB flash, though Lede/OpenWRT can only use 8MB flash. It can be powered off USB, so I'm using one as a wireless bridge for an IPTV box, where it's powered directly from the (useless) USB port on the box. Costs $13-15 with shipping from AliExpress.

The GL-AR300M and MD are interesting, but it is way past the magical $20 pricepoint.

Is that the one with realtek WiFi or nbd's mediatek driver?

It's mediatek.

If you are like me and don't want those cheap chinese routers, I like TP-LINK TL-WR842N/ND v3, for 20 EUR you get 16MB flash, 64MB ram and USB port. Only 100mbit switch though. I'm still using a lot wr841n with 32MB/4MB, because they are even cheaper and power efficient (less than 2 watts), but hnyman is right, it is getting harder and harder to fit to 4MB. I like also WR1043ND, they have been supported on openwrt from the year 0, but they are quite expensive compared to chinese.

2 Likes

Purchased 1043nd v4. for 52 EUR.
16Mb Flash , 64Mb RAM, 4 Gigabit ports
Runs flawlessly with LEDE. I'd definitely recommend it.

BT VG3503J.

Its hard to beat as VDSL 2 device. The VG3503J is far better than the single port locked down Vigor 130.

Its difficult enough to flash, so to keep the prices down on Feebay of the normal BT VG3503J.

All in all, an excellent device now the Lede Team have improved what Openwrt started.

I mentioned WR1043ND series before. I also think they are pretty solid devices. I like them a lot. I would liked to have 128MB RAM though.

In Poland they are being sold for around 42 EUR / 44USD and recently they where on sale for 37 EUR / 39 USD. I don't think they are expensive at all.

Here is the UK, my vote is the BT HomeHubV5A. 500Mhz 128/128MB, 4xGb ports, 2.4 & 5Ghz radios and VDSL2 modem. Ebay is flooded with them, so easy to get at around GBP10!

I bought one as I needed a small Gb switch and I fancied trying LEDE and my first experimenting with open source router firmware and haven't looked back. I've since bought a WRT1900ACS as a main router since it had a LEDE image available.

4 Likes

Fuson FS-WR106, does someone know these devices? ($18, min. 2 units sounds fair)

wholesaler.alibaba.com/product-detail/Enterprise-1200Mbps-802-11AC-Dual-Band_60575755335.html

AC1200 Dual Band WiFi Router with Four High-Power Antennas , QoS , WPS Button

Main Chip MT7621A/Dual core/880Mhz
2.4G Chip MT7603EN
5G Chip MT7612EN

RAM DDR3 512MB (Max support 512MB)
FLASH SPI 16MB (Max support 32MB)

110/100M/1000M WAN Port,support auto reverse(Auto MDI/MDIX)
10/100M/1000M LAN Port,support auto reverse(Auto MDI/MDIX)
1USB 2.0 Port
PCIE Port(Built-in)
1*SD Port

Support System Original SDK,openwrt

Wow, those specs are insane for that price! Really curious for more information about and experience with this device.

Has somebody purchased this product ? When I tried to buy they said the price is a mistake ...

Not yet...