What's your favourite cheap LEDE/OpenWrt device?

Thanks but the WR1043ND v4 is not sold in the US. The v3 is also impossible to find, as most vendors are shipping the WR1043N v5 instead, which has no LEDE support.

then get an archer c5 - refurbished is about as much as the 1043ndv4, new is 15$ more

Unfortunately, I can't seem to find stock of the refurbished units anywhere.

try newegg

Is it easy for a beginner to install the OS in the orange pi zero?

you just write the image to the sd card but it's supported ? I don't see it in the sunxi targets
some help: https://gist.github.com/praveenbm5/3c81692e6b2b651bb450fb7fc45dff4d

there is support for orange-pi-plus so maybe is an easy target to be added

Sounds like a heck of a deal; where can it be purchased? Not finding any sources online.

I guess you are talking about this one, right?
https://wikidevi.com/wiki/Lenovo_Newifi_mini

Which firmware image did you use?

LEDE, with Fast Path and close sourced driver.:sweat_smile: I built it myself.

OK, I see, this device is not listed under newifi mini, but under Y1.
I updated the dataentries accordingly for easier finding, and noticed that the Newifi Y1 / Y1S are discontinued.

I'm using Xiaomi MiWiFi Nano (also called Youth Edition, model number R1CL) in a few places. It's got 64MB RAM and 16MB flash, though Lede/OpenWRT can only use 8MB flash. It can be powered off USB, so I'm using one as a wireless bridge for an IPTV box, where it's powered directly from the (useless) USB port on the box.

I am surprised noone mentioned Netgear WNDR3700v4. You can get it for like 20-25$ USED from ebay.
It's amazing hardware.
CPU: Atheros AR9344 560 MHZ
Flash MB: 128 MB NAND
RAM MB: 128 MB
Ethernet GBit ports: 5 1 WAN + 4x LAN
WLAN Hardware: AR9582 [an 2x2
WLAN 2.4GHz: b/g/n
WLAN 5.0GHz: a/n
WLAN Comments: 2x2
USB ports: 1x 2.0
https://lede-project.org/toh/hwdata/netgear/netgear_wndr3700_v4

I use it. It workes great no problems at all. I use kernel 4.9 on latest lede.
Also it's hardware is really good. I run OpenVPN server on it ~5-6 clients. DNSCrypt-proxy, adblock with 10013 blocking sites and /etc/hosts file with 52749 records in it. Per user bandwith monitoring, and collected services. It seems this 1 core is powerfull. Also 2 laptops and 4 phones are connected to WiFi and 4 computers with cable. Some downloading torrents and things like that. This is ram usage

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

@anon20279570

Netgear WNDR3700v4 is EOL - it´s easier to get a modern and mor powerfull device!

I own one ... and I willl use it until Software will support (LEDE?!) it :stuck_out_tongue:

Can you suggest something <30$ equal or better then WNDR3700v4? Friend of mine wants to buy after he saw my setup router. He currently has Tp link 841n but you know it's weak. I installed lede on it but 4 MB/32 MB is not enough.

I´am a Fan of SecondHand Routers, so the WNDR3700v2 is a good choice with very good support by @hnyman (Link)

Currently I´am playing with the Original Xiaomi WiFi Router 3G (Link) - a good and modern Device for that money.

1 Like

according to this https://lede-project.org/toh/hwdata/netgear/netgear_wndr3700_v2 3700v2 has 16/64 ROM/RAM. wndr3700v4 has much better hardware. That xiaomi is nice but it costs twice as much as wndr3700v4. Looks like i made good choice for my friend too wndr3700v4 is unbeatable in it's second hand price range :slight_smile:

@anon20279570

FYI | 5GHz wireless is not working on the wndr3700v4 with LEDE

The Device itself is not so easy to handle like the WNDR3700v2 or the Xiaomi WiFi Router 3G

It works on LEDE. I used to use 5 GHZ wifi when i was on stock 17.01.1 and it worked on my build of 17.01.1.
Now i do not know i do not have 5 GHZ device, but when i click scan on 5 GHZ wifi it starts scanning, blue led turns on and then off. So i assume it works on 17.01.4 with 4.9 kernel too.

@anon20279570

For me it doesn´t work... Just installed latest dd-rt and 5 GHz is back again. There is also just one radio to select under LEDE. Will do some more Tests.

wndr3700v4

DD WRT  build 33555    Wireless Status

Please discuss problems with 5GHz in a separate topic and keep this thread for hardware recommendations.

1 Like