What's your favorite enthusiast LEDE/OpenWrt device?

@Dr_Fambo is one of the few thinking about what is really "enthusiast" grade, in my opinion.

Don't forget about the used market either.

Used Lanner FW-7582A, 6 Intel 82583V nics, PCIe x8 slot, USB 2.0, serial, RTC, LCD character display in 1U box. Came with i3-2120 and 4 GB memory -- US $89 on eBay

Upgraded to Xeon E3-1265L V2 -- US $99 on eBay (lower power consumption, higher performance)

Used Archer C7 v2 as "dumb AP" -- US $40 through Craigslist

2x8 GB memory sticks, DDR3 1333, from my junk drawer

Even with the original i3-2120 and 4 GB RAM in there, I pretty much guarantee it runs circles around any of the high-end home wireless routers on the market, at under US $140 (including the Archer C7). It can easily handle 2 Gbps throughput without breaking a sweat.

I think that any router with such big x86-CPUs is quite oversized for home use. Even for enthusiasts. But I agree that used hardware can be a good option for people who don't want to pay $150+ for so-called enthusiast hardware. And I think that most of us don't want such "big" hardware just for routing traffic to their TV or NAS combined with several repeaters to reach their living room. The more things I want to integrate into a router hardware the more I don't want/need OpenWrt as operating system.

I was tinking and reading a lot before I decided to buy the NBG6817. At the end the dual boot option and the flash size were the most important things for me (beside the wifi performance). But such thoughts are relevant for ppl. making their own builds only.

But what is about this piece of hardware:

https://www.asus.com/Networking/ROG-Rapture-GT-AC5300/ About ~ €350

Is this router driven by OpenWrt? I mean ... (maybe) ... If I would have a lot of wifi users in a really big family/community with a real big glass fibre connection ... l would opt for such a router ...

Or am I just not enthusiastic enough? :smiley:

Can anyone offer guidance?
I'm interested to build a router from something like Qotom-Q190S but am concerned that I don't know precisely what to ask for.
Requirements:

• support shaping a 1 Gb fibre connection
  • I'm more concerned about wired performance but want 2.4GHz and 5Ghz (ac) WIFI
  • must have ethernet switch / VLAN so that I can connect a smart switch and segment my wired network

What questions should I ask about their base package and their wifi option to ensure my requirements are met?

thanks in advance
Charles

@CharlesJC, you may wish to start a new thread for this.

BTW, the device looks interesting and powerful!

will do, thanks

How did you make the green lock appear?

Very much off-topic for this thread ...

... but the answer is that you either need a certificate signed by a recognized authority or to create your own CA, certificates, and install the CA's "trust" certificate in your browsers. If you wish to pursue further, I'd suggest search of the forums and openwrt.org. If that didn't answer your questions, follow-up on a recent, related thread or a new thread would be the next step.

I just installed the luci-ssl package.

sqm works fine on my DIR-860l boxes at least or Netgear R7800.

After reading this topic, I think the Zyxel Armor Z2 AC2600 MU-MIMO could be my choise. I have thick walls so wifi reception is the key feature I am searching.

I am unsure if I should choose the similar Netgear R7800-100PES, because installation should be easier. Can you explain a little bit why? Thanks! Pro for the Zyxel is the better flash memory.

With current master snapshots you can install OpenWrt on the nbg6817 directly from ZyXEL's OEM firmware update GUI - just like an OEM update (this wasn't ready in time for 18.06.x, but you can downgrade to 18.06.1 from there). This is actually easier than installing OpenWrt 18.06.x or newer on the r7800, as the modified partitioning scheme for that device means that you can no longer install OpenWrt from its OEM webinterface, but must install it via tftp.

Hi there, I'm looking for an extremely fast and robust router. I do not trust much the usual "gamer stuff". Because where I live temperature is around 113F/45°C during warm season so there's quite a tendency for dodgy electronic components to fail at my living place. Sadly I can't put AC or mitigate the issue.

I'm an avid OpenWRT user, since many years and I don't want to switch to something else.
I want a low power consumption, low heat appliance. That is robust as hell : I self host from web and files to E-mails. Not keen on X86 then
Yet I have a full 1 Gbps fiber internet access, so that "dream appliance" should handle that

I was thinking about the Turris Omnia. Is it (still ?) a relevant option, may it be flashed with vanilla OpenWRT as of today ?

Thank you everybody.

Honestly, at that speed x86 is the only affordable game in town...

The omnia is nice, but I am not sure how well it will do with trying to shape a 1 Gbps link...

Additionally, mvebu -like all highend ARM SOCs- tends to run hot, I'm not sure if I'd recommend it for those ambient temperatures, besides the speed, x86 might have more mature cooling options for those environments.

Big thumbs up for the Linksys WRT32X. The WRT32X is basically the WRT3200ACM with a dumbed down gamers GUI at a cheaper price. I got one for $149 at Sams Club.

OpertWrt 18.06.1 works great. The only issue I had was that I needed to update my Windows PC drivers for Intel WiFi chipsets because the packet coalescing was buggy (no fault of OpenWrt - Intel driver bug).

Internet provider RCS & RDS 1Gbps, PPPoE internet access with active IPv4 / IPv6 dual stack
wrt1900acs v2 OpenWrt/SuperWrt with the firmware version proposed by Daniel Petre

http://s.go.ro/8xlsx2y9 :star_struck:

I'm also trying to make Archer C7 v2 good enough for my gigabit net. Can you please send me to the right direction for the best firmware? Is the the performance optimised version like this one?
Archer C7 firmware https://github.com/infinitnet/lede-ar71xx-optimized-archer-c7-v2/blob/master/openwrt-ar71xx-generic-archer-c7-v2-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin

Thank you

An Archer C7 is both unlikely to be sufficient for a gigabit network and is not considered to be an "enthusiast" device by today's standards, on any firmware. Your question is much more appropriate on a thread related to the Archer C7 or perhaps on one related to the firmware in which you are interested.

I've browsed through the topic because I want to add a powerful enough router with ac wifi to serve behind Gbit Internet service. As I see almost everyone suggest Netgear R7800. Is this still the best choice? I'm also thinking about Mikrotek Hap ac, but I'm not sure with this internal antennas it will provide the right coverage

The "best" option, outside of commercial routers, is a quality x86_64 / AMD64 box with multiple Intel NICs, a decent "smart" switch, and discrete APs (either "dedicated" APs, or repurposed SOHO routers). This is hardly "new" advice, just a few posts above, for example

but is often not heeded.

There are several well-regarded, consumer all-in-one options to the R7800 outlined above. I think that "almost everyone" is not the case in the nearly 160 posts in this thread.