What's your favorite enthusiast LEDE/OpenWrt device?

Easy to work with:
TP-Link TL-WDR4300
TP-Link TL-WDR3600

128MB RAM
8MB Flash

Easy to change u-boot (pepe2k), easy to connect UART, easy to flash OpenWRT.
Rock-solid WiFi 2.4GHz and 5GHz
No ac, but it's a minor issue for me.

Non-starter, obsolete from the day you buy it

(Not to mention that neither of those outdated boards are even considered good options for current purchase even at the bottom of the scale.)

...no longer in production (or for sale) since late 2015/ early 2016.

They've been solid devices and there's no reason not to keep using them, but buying them today would be a bad idea (you can't get them new anyways and used they are typically overpriced (they tend to sell for more than what they were worth new from the factory) for what they can offer), making them a bad suggestion.

Based on the OP, my answers were valid. They are a good cheap choice, if you can find them. They are both very stable with 18.06.2 and they have plenty of memory. I bought them used @ 20€ a piece. As an added value, the open source uboot is available to them.

Archer C7 (the real one, not rebranded C5) is another good choice. However, we are stuck with the Chinese language, closed source BREED bootloader, which they claim is not a u-boot mod (which it is, and the source is closed as well) which basically does not support command line arguments, setting the MAC address in the menu reverts to generic driver etc (you can see this in the UART post when router starts).