What's your favorite enthusiast LEDE/OpenWrt device?

Yea that's on Intel's new 10nm process and faster of course, but unfortunately it's been shown to draw quite a bit more power than the J4125 and does nothing additional, since it was hard to use all of the J4125's performance in a typical 2.5Gbit setup (routing/firewall/adblock/samba/etc).

A couple of reviews covered the N6005, this page mentions the overkill power draw from it:

2 Likes

really - have you tried running sqm at 2.5gbps ?

TP-Link Archer C7 AC1750 v4 running firmware v21.02.3. It's rock solid, low cost, small power consumption, and the Wi-Fi performance is amazing thanks to the latest performance patches...
AQL and the ath10k is lovely - For Developers - OpenWrt Forum

[OpenWrt Wiki] Techdata: TP-Link Archer C7 AC1750 v4

Not yet I just got it, but don't think it can handle that much bandwidth using SQM (over 1Gbit for sure though). Will post results once I'm able to test it thorougly. I think their own builds (FriendlyWrt) need some more work on irqbalancing from what I can tell.

Right now I use a WRT32X as my main device since it easily does SQM on my 500/35 Mbit cable modem (A+/A+ results) with CPU left for Adblock, Samba, etc. Looking into transitioning over to the R5S once things mature and will post findings.

1 Like

My MR8300 now work well.. Quad core 781Mhz /512Mb Ram.

I use many additional services and change it only for an octacore (less availables).

1 Like

3 posts were split to a new topic: Replacement for R7800

For me, at the moment and for as long as you can get them at the current price, the AtomicPI is the best piece of hardware you can get.

For less than $50 you get a Atom x86-64 quad core with 2Gb of RAM and 16Gb of EMMC, USB 2.0 port needs cable, USB 3.0 port (on board), Gigabit Switch and a nice WiFi 2.4/5.0Ghz as well as Bluetooth (which can be interesting for Bluetooth Network testing for some things).

It is overkill for most use cases yes, but it is perfect if you add some external storage and want to also run a caching proxy on it for example.

And you can still purchase it at: https://ameridroid.com/products/atomic-pi as well as other places.

For additional ethernet ports get an additional fully managed switch even second hand.

My current setup is the AtomicPI as a WiFi ISP client for my Landlords Wifi (otherwise the number of stuff I have would kill the wifi performance in a second) connected via Ethernet to a Fully Managed 2nd hand HP 32 Port enterprise switch no it's not an noisy one.

Everything on my Studio is then connected via Ethernet, the one Wireless link is from the AtomicPI to the WiFi.

I have a NAS that is actually connected to this switch in a triple ethernet bonded connection so I can have more than one device accessing it a full Gigabit performance something a simple cheap network switch wouldn't allow.

I am getting an BananaPI R64 working due to having ended up with one due to a mess up. As I actually want to have an WiFi access to my own sub-network for my phone and security cameras I am considering getting this one to do that job specifically. This also give me a second network switch in an area I actually need it so I can have both my 2nd AtomicPI running eLive linux as a mediacenter for Streaming and local network media access beautifully as well as my Mister FPGA and my OrangePI TVHeadend DVB-T server which is currently offline due to no aerial.

I'm working with the funny M5 Wireless cameras built around an ESP32 as the surveillance solution, hence the need for the local wireless. These are cheapo (~$15 to ~$20) have good enough cameras and FPS and will do the job beautifully once I custom build their firmware to work in tandem with Linux using ZoneMinder and Motion. (Virtual Machine on my NAS for this one most likely)

I do have a question though, do we have publicly available the software to make a OpenWRT Custom Image Build Server? I am considering having my AtomicPI router on top of it's routing and VPN tasks also be a Build Server, which would be quite handy locally for some things and would also enable me to help the OpenWRT community and developers which I pretty much want to!

Any information on how to get this one running is welcome! Also, any ideas for my setup are also welcome :slight_smile: (Am thinking on how to integrate the surveillance with an alarm as well hehe)

2 Likes

do we have publicly available the software to make a OpenWRT Custom Image Build Server?

It's getting a little off-topic for this thread, but yes, I think this is what you are looking for: OpenWrt firmware selector source code. See also the wiki pages on image builder and its frontends.

how fast can cake run on the atomic pi?

The baytrail-d j1900 (GP-7543) achieves ~830 MBit/s with sqm/cake in synthetic benchmarking, yes the cherrytrail x5-Z8350 is a generation newer, but on the other hand it's the tablet CPU with limited I/O - so probably less- to comparable.

1 Like

so without shaping, can it do a gbit with cake?

Is there BQL on on the ethernet driver?

People keep wanting to shape a gbit, noooo... we have BQL backpressure for that...

The j1900 can route/ NAT/ firewall 1 GBit/s at wirespeed, easily (around 35% core load) - it's just sqm/cake it can't do at full speed (modern Atom chipsets, which the x5-Z8350 is not, probably can - but I'd be very sceptical about those managing to do sqm/cake at 2.5 GBit/s).

1 Like

I think we are still talking past each other.

tc qdisc replace dev eth0 root cake bandwidth unlimited

should run at a gbit, just fine, with BQL, maybe 3% more cpu than fq_codel (which is the default). 2.5gbit, don't know.

sqm and cake are not equivalent. sqm implies a shaper is on.
cake and fq_codel both work without a shaper...

my purpose is a cool farplay.io server. Check out farplay.io!

1 Like

I'd welcome trying other hardware apart from x86 if an openwrt-supported SBC with a BQL enabled ethernet driver can handle it! Even more if cheaper than x86 hardware..sounds like a pipe dream. Perhaps it's a matter of slapping in Intel NICs on very modest x86 hardware and then we'd call it a day, or even @slh's setup is sufficient enough if we can validate its performance, then that'd open up a larger set of x86 devices to try.

So far, I've been fond of the ASRock's IMB Industrial boards, and have worked with a few of the Socket 1150 mini-itx motherboards when they used to be $45.

I mistakenly thought CAKE + SQM/shaping were one and the same, so I imagine many others think that one needed the other to get the results they want. Especially considering per-host-fairness being so powerful.

1 Like

I have an r6s on order. I hope that that can do cake at 2.5gbit line rate, but don't know.

How did the testing go?
Will it shape 2.5Gbps? (Cake)

I'm looking at a J4125 box with 2.5G nics, and would like to handle ~2Gbps on the download with Cake enabled.

1 Like

Hi does anyone know if these J4125 box with 2.5G Intel nics are reliable hardware wise?

I read Intel i225v (B3) revision chipsets are still having issues with network connection drop outs and other issues, even the i226 has some issues.

I was tempted to get a QOTOM Q750G5 Celeron J4105 with 5x Intel i225v from Aliexpress

But having read on google, YT, Reddit forums lots of issues still, also Aliexpress appears to not mention if that particular model even uses the B3 chipset.

Was considering just sticking with Realtek 2.5Gbps nics and a low powered PC for an openwrtx86 build instead.

thanks

I'm still not convinced it's powerful enough to route at 2.5Gbit.

1 Like

You do raise an interesting point if the J4105 is powerful enough. 1.5ghz x4 and 2ghz burst but single core I believe.

I think Van tech mentioned his through put with 2.5gbs performance was fine with the N5105 cpu was good enough here but not sure with real world cases or maybe same.

And server the home also said the N5105 is that bit more better performance, but unsure what that fully means here.

I would hate to spend £150-200, when I could just as easily put a x86 PC instead but it might be better and cheaper.