What's your favorite enthusiast LEDE/OpenWrt device?

One difference is the E8450 only has USB 2.0. While most people won't care, I share a USB 3.0 external drive on my WRT32X and get 110 - 120 MB/s read write performance which maxes out gigabit LAN, mainly for Kodi on my Shield TV. This is very fast most routers aren't hitting this speed. The Samba 4 package works awesome on OpenWrt.

WRT32X is also hitting 500 Mbits (my max cable modem speed) with SQM cake with CPU left over, A+ bufferbloat/ A+ quality on dslreports speedtest. Nothing crazy for a 5 year old router I know, but not sure how fast the CPU is on the E8450.

To work on the memory limit with maximum power ,TL-WR841ND

Regardless of your definitions or priorities, this is not an 'enthusiast' ~= high-end device. Most hardware revisions don't even meet minimum system requirements and aren't supported anymore.

3 Likes

To use with lede is great for me

I'm going to add one more router than the TL-WDR3600.8 mb and 128 mb of powerful ram, it serves me very well in what I need in relation to wireless and transmission power, using samba4 I leave my server quiet, I still put a squid and power left for opkgs test, my internet is not fast so it's great

Also my setup:
Its the same hardware as a protectli FW4B, bit its a chinese version with the BIOS of protectli (as its 100% the same hardware):
Passive cooled with a TDP of 6W
Celeron j3160 (quad core)
8GB RAM
128GB M2 SSD
4 intel i210 network interfaces
As to not pollute more:
The device i got:

BIOS link for this one:
https://protectli.com/kb/coreboot-on-the-vault/

The newer version of the same type of device:
https://m.nl.aliexpress.com/item/1005003993468819.html?spm=a2g0n.productlist.0.0.162d2DiJ2DiJbk&browser_id=2db429bcc93d40c58089a8a2401fe317&aff_trace_key=a9cbeed21fd24c25b380eba05b28a8ad-1658649559519-05518-UneMJZVf&aff_platform=msite&m_page_id=qocigaclij0cav7h1823684b53d18f53b2931f87d8&gclid=&pdp_npi=2%40dis!EUR!!317.11!!!!!%402103255a16587720443666377e9d9a!12000027673149423!sea&algo_pvid=a976e9b9-f0d4-4e66-aceb-7988cd86f479
I do not know where/if there is a coreboot bios for this one...

2 Likes

do you have the link where to buy this device, some may be interested. Also where this bios can be downloaded ?

Maybe not that specific one but just search Amazon or Newegg for "Mini PC J4125 I225-V".

There will be lots of good devices in the $300 range running the Intel J4125 (fast and fairly power efficient x64 CPU) with multiple Intel 2.5Gbe and USB 3.0 ports. Any of these can work with OpenWrt or pfSense. If you get one be sure to install the "kmod-igc" driver in OpenWrt for the ethernets to work.

Personally i would go for the passively cooled N6005.
Tonton, the manufacturer also has a passively cooled core i7 has... I'm a sucker for more power :wink:

1 Like

Yea that's on Intel's new 10nm process and faster of course, but unfortunately it's been shown to draw quite a bit more power than the J4125 and does nothing additional, since it was hard to use all of the J4125's performance in a typical 2.5Gbit setup (routing/firewall/adblock/samba/etc).

A couple of reviews covered the N6005, this page mentions the overkill power draw from it:

2 Likes

really - have you tried running sqm at 2.5gbps ?

TP-Link Archer C7 AC1750 v4 running firmware v21.02.3. It's rock solid, low cost, small power consumption, and the Wi-Fi performance is amazing thanks to the latest performance patches...
AQL and the ath10k is lovely - For Developers - OpenWrt Forum

[OpenWrt Wiki] Techdata: TP-Link Archer C7 AC1750 v4

Not yet I just got it, but don't think it can handle that much bandwidth using SQM (over 1Gbit for sure though). Will post results once I'm able to test it thorougly. I think their own builds (FriendlyWrt) need some more work on irqbalancing from what I can tell.

Right now I use a WRT32X as my main device since it easily does SQM on my 500/35 Mbit cable modem (A+/A+ results) with CPU left for Adblock, Samba, etc. Looking into transitioning over to the R5S once things mature and will post findings.

1 Like

My MR8300 now work well.. Quad core 781Mhz /512Mb Ram.

I use many additional services and change it only for an octacore (less availables).

1 Like

3 posts were split to a new topic: Replacement for R7800

For me, at the moment and for as long as you can get them at the current price, the AtomicPI is the best piece of hardware you can get.

For less than $50 you get a Atom x86-64 quad core with 2Gb of RAM and 16Gb of EMMC, USB 2.0 port needs cable, USB 3.0 port (on board), Gigabit Switch and a nice WiFi 2.4/5.0Ghz as well as Bluetooth (which can be interesting for Bluetooth Network testing for some things).

It is overkill for most use cases yes, but it is perfect if you add some external storage and want to also run a caching proxy on it for example.

And you can still purchase it at: https://ameridroid.com/products/atomic-pi as well as other places.

For additional ethernet ports get an additional fully managed switch even second hand.

My current setup is the AtomicPI as a WiFi ISP client for my Landlords Wifi (otherwise the number of stuff I have would kill the wifi performance in a second) connected via Ethernet to a Fully Managed 2nd hand HP 32 Port enterprise switch no it's not an noisy one.

Everything on my Studio is then connected via Ethernet, the one Wireless link is from the AtomicPI to the WiFi.

I have a NAS that is actually connected to this switch in a triple ethernet bonded connection so I can have more than one device accessing it a full Gigabit performance something a simple cheap network switch wouldn't allow.

I am getting an BananaPI R64 working due to having ended up with one due to a mess up. As I actually want to have an WiFi access to my own sub-network for my phone and security cameras I am considering getting this one to do that job specifically. This also give me a second network switch in an area I actually need it so I can have both my 2nd AtomicPI running eLive linux as a mediacenter for Streaming and local network media access beautifully as well as my Mister FPGA and my OrangePI TVHeadend DVB-T server which is currently offline due to no aerial.

I'm working with the funny M5 Wireless cameras built around an ESP32 as the surveillance solution, hence the need for the local wireless. These are cheapo (~$15 to ~$20) have good enough cameras and FPS and will do the job beautifully once I custom build their firmware to work in tandem with Linux using ZoneMinder and Motion. (Virtual Machine on my NAS for this one most likely)

I do have a question though, do we have publicly available the software to make a OpenWRT Custom Image Build Server? I am considering having my AtomicPI router on top of it's routing and VPN tasks also be a Build Server, which would be quite handy locally for some things and would also enable me to help the OpenWRT community and developers which I pretty much want to!

Any information on how to get this one running is welcome! Also, any ideas for my setup are also welcome :slight_smile: (Am thinking on how to integrate the surveillance with an alarm as well hehe)

2 Likes

do we have publicly available the software to make a OpenWRT Custom Image Build Server?

It's getting a little off-topic for this thread, but yes, I think this is what you are looking for: OpenWrt firmware selector source code. See also the wiki pages on image builder and its frontends.

how fast can cake run on the atomic pi?

The baytrail-d j1900 (GP-7543) achieves ~830 MBit/s with sqm/cake in synthetic benchmarking, yes the cherrytrail x5-Z8350 is a generation newer, but on the other hand it's the tablet CPU with limited I/O - so probably less- to comparable.

1 Like

so without shaping, can it do a gbit with cake?

Is there BQL on on the ethernet driver?

People keep wanting to shape a gbit, noooo... we have BQL backpressure for that...