What wifi 5ghz ac should i look for when shopping? Qualcomm/atheros closed source, broadcom is not recommend. Thx

What wifi 5ghz ac should i look for when shopping? Qualcomm/atheros closed source, broadcom is not recommend. Thx

That leaves you with MediaTek and Realtek, if my memory serves me right.
Realtek should be avoided, as a general rule of thumb.

So MediaTek, although ATH seems to work pretty good, imho, at least for me.

1 Like

Qualcomm/ath is not closed source, it requires a firmware blob just like mediatek wifi.

Realtek wifi is trash, and broadcomm is usually closed source.

1 Like

That's quite the stretch, given the monster the QCA firmware blob is for ath10k/ath11k (ath9k doesn't need any) doesn't even come close to the limited firmware the MediaTek radios need - those pale in comparison.

QCA is known for doing even basic 802.11 stuff in their firmware blob. And you see skilled people in the community here giving QCA (finally!) the middle finger because it couldn't care less.

3 Likes

It might be a big firmware, but it's still technically correct. That is a still a real firmware, running on the wifi controller chipset (that has ARM cores of its own afaik).

While the driver may be small but is opensource so it can just follow kernel updates

I'm not sure he is heavily into the FOSS movement, maybe he was just asking about what runs well in OpenWrt, and that requires an opensource driver

1 Like

but the true is that ath10k work nice under openwrt , not mt76.

There's plenty of happy campers here with mt76 hardware on the forum here. I for one am running a whole household on MT76 wireless. And since the MT7613 hack ptpt52 shared my MT7613BE radios are running fine as well.

Yes, you can't just buy anything, not everything is as well supported, but the same goes for QCA. QCA has a few 802.11ac radios you don't want to run into either, because they are crap or completely unsupported by ath10k.

is there other non qc9880 chipset with ac?

my qc9880s has so many revision and fw bin and loses connection as client or access poiny

i tried mediatek but it does not support 20mhz 5ghz

thx

I'm running Archer C2600s as APs, no issues whatsoever, 300+ days uptime.

which is a qca9980, so it's a newer generation from the OP's, in case someone was wondering