What sort of WiFi performance can I expect with a Linksys WRT1900AC router?

I need to get a sense of how much performance I can get out of a Linksys WRT1900AC running OpenWRT and little else. I have such a system for my home network. Three adult users, heavy Internet for 2 of 3, lots of streaming, 1 user gaming a lot, etc. Propably 25 wireless devices (3 phones, 3 tablets, 1 1080p TV, 5 Echo Dots, a few Phillips Hue lights and a bridge).

I seem to have really poor WiFi. Wired devices are rock solid. But everything is painfully slow and unreliable on tablets or phones.

I don't know where to start to troubleshoot this. I do have screen cap of the 'Status' > 'Realtime Graphs' > 'Wireless' >WLAN0 tab, but don't know how to upload it yet. Will do as soon as I can figure that out.

On this screen, I thinkk I get the upper graph (Signal to Noise); mine shows an almost constant -50db Signal, with a very spikey Noise below -80db. Normal?

The lower graph shows a constant 35 Mbits/s usage; soometimes goes as high as 50 Mbits/sec. Almost flat-line constant. This seems wrong to me.

Any help appreciated. Can send more specifics if required. Just trying to get a sense of what I can expect before digging further.

Start by using the forum search. The WRT1900AC is a popular device, and you will certainly find some info about its wifi performance in the forum.

Just copy&paste into the posting editor.

Thanks! I do some searches on this model#. I understand it's a fairly powerful device, or at least I bought the marketing hype when it was released! :slight_smile:

Here's what the realtime graphs screen looks like. As I mentioned, I'm not sure if this is anywhere near "normal" for a situation like mine.