What’s your favorite "Back To School" OpenWrt device?

And that's okay, but a quick Google search could have helped you out.

You've had multiple suggestions (some of which you didn't understand because of a lack of understanding of a word you could have googled) within 5 hours. This is a forum, not a helpdesk. Please be a little more realistic in your expectations.

As for suggestions, availability differs from country to country. Your best bet is to look up the SOCs that were suggested to you in OpenWRT's TOH (Table of Hardware) and see if the devices that match your criteria are available in your area within your specified budget.

1 Like

try ebay for EA6350 v3 - and make sure you have pictures that reference the v3 like this

An ebay EA6350v3 shipped for ~$25 is quite good. I use one as a wired AP and switch to cover the first floor of our home. Just be aware the radio calibration file that comes with OpenWrt stable and master builds is not so good. It's worth the trouble to grab a better calibration file from one of NoTengoBattery's recent builds (e.g., pwr.bin), especially if you use 2.4 GHz wifi.

If you want something more speedy and capable for twice the price, consider an ebay EA8500 for $50 shipped like this. You'll need to open the case and employ a USB to serial adapter (available for ~$5) the first time you flash OpenWrt, but its worth the trouble in my opinion. This would be my pick to cover an entire home for not a lot of $.

1 Like

"System On Chip". It would have been quicker to just type that than your insulting reply. Still, not of much use to me, as I do not see that in any marketing material of any devices.

I have seen some tables, but they are not all that useful, and I'm not even sure I recall seeing "SOC" on there. Listen, if you don't want to answer, that is perfectly fine.
:roll_eyes:

Thank you. This was useful. I will check on Amazon. I don't do ebay.

I am hardly insulting you, I am trying to help. It's just that I don't find it fair that multiple people gave you useful information, but due to not understanding a term you could have easily googled you dismiss their answers are useless. Not only that, you make a remark about not having gotten any useful answers, despite it only being 5 hours, because you are used to getting answers really quickly on other forums (despite already given useful answers as explained before!). These people helping you are spending their spare time to help a stranger on the internet, so I don't think it's too much to ask that you are willing to google some terms so that information already given to you is meaningful and useful.

You're again dismissing useful information. Here is the Table I am talking about: https://openwrt.org/toh/views/toh_extended_all

The CPU column denotes the SOC that is used in that particular model. You can filter on the suggestions given to you, and see if they are available in your area by searching your favorite webshop.

3 Likes

A few numbers, from a few of them thar SoCs.

OK, I just searched. I'm not sure why it says CPU instead of SOC, but that's life.

The only one that comes back with anything is mt7621. There are quite a few routers which look like they should work for me there. I will look around to see what I can find. Thank you.

This does not really help steer me anywhere, but thanks anyhow.

Yep, no value to be had in knowing the relative performance of devices when checking pricing.

If only there were an easy way to determine "relative performance".

This is a super helpful link though. You can see what router is fast enough to handle your internet connection (plus maybe your future internet connection if you want to future proof) with the desired features enabled/disabled.

Equus africanus asinus to water, or some such.

[This is a Civilized Place for Public Discussion]

Please treat this discussion forum with the same respect you would a public park. We, too, are a shared community resource — a place to share skills, knowledge and interests through ongoing conversation.

These are not hard and fast rules, merely aids to the human judgment of our community. Use these guidelines to keep this a clean, well-lighted place for civilized public discourse.

[Improve the Discussion]

Help us make this a great place for discussion by always working to improve the discussion in some way, however small. If you are not sure your post adds to the conversation, think over what you want to say and try again later.

The topics discussed here matter to us, and we want you to act as if they matter to you, too. Be respectful of the topics and the people discussing them, even if you disagree with some of what is being said.

One way to improve the discussion is by discovering ones that are already happening. Please spend some time browsing the topics here before replying or starting your own, and you’ll have a better chance of meeting others who share your interests.

[Be Agreeable, Even When You Disagree]

You may wish to respond to something by disagreeing with it. That’s fine. But, remember to criticize ideas, not people . Please avoid:

• Name-calling.
  • Ad hominem attacks.
  • Responding to a post’s tone instead of its actual content.
  • Knee-jerk contradiction.

Instead, provide reasoned counter-arguments that improve the conversation.

[Your Participation Counts]

The conversations we have here set the tone for everyone. Help us influence the future of this community by choosing to engage in discussions that make this forum an interesting place to be — and avoiding those that do not.

Discourse provides tools that enable the community to collectively identify the best (and worst) contributions: favorites, bookmarks, likes, flags, replies, edits, and so forth. Use these tools to improve your own experience, and everyone else’s, too.

Let’s try to leave our park better than we found it.

[If You See a Problem, Flag It]

Moderators have special authority; they are responsible for this forum. But so are you. With your help, moderators can be community facilitators, not just janitors or police.

When you see bad behavior, don’t reply. It encourages the bad behavior by acknowledging it, consumes your energy, and wastes everyone’s time. Just flag it . If enough flags accrue, action will be taken, either automatically or by moderator intervention.

In order to maintain our community, moderators reserve the right to remove any content and any user account for any reason at any time. Moderators do not preview new posts in any way; the moderators and site operators take no responsibility for any content posted by the community.

[Always Be Civil]

Nothing sabotages a healthy conversation like rudeness:

• Be civil. Don’t post anything that a reasonable person would consider offensive, abusive, or hate speech.
  • Keep it clean. Don’t post anything obscene or sexually explicit.
  • Respect each other. Don’t harass or grief anyone, impersonate people, or expose their private information.
  • Respect our forum. Don’t post spam or otherwise vandalize the forum.

These are not concrete terms with precise definitions — avoid even the appearance of any of these things. If you’re unsure, ask yourself how you would feel if your post was featured on the front page of the New York Times.

This is a public forum, and search engines index these discussions. Keep the language, links, and images safe for family and friends.

[Keep It Tidy]

Make the effort to put things in the right place, so that we can spend more time discussing and less cleaning up. So:

• Don’t start a topic in the wrong category.
  • Don’t cross-post the same thing in multiple topics.
  • Don’t post no-content replies.
  • Don’t divert a topic by changing it midstream.
  • Don’t sign your posts — every post has your profile information attached to it.

Rather than posting “+1” or “Agreed”, use the Like button. Rather than taking an existing topic in a radically different direction, use Reply as a Linked Topic.

[Post Only Your Own Stuff]

You may not post anything digital that belongs to someone else without permission. You may not post descriptions of, links to, or methods for stealing someone’s intellectual property (software, video, audio, images), or for breaking any other law.

[Powered by You]

This site is operated by your [friendly local staff] and you , the community. If you have any further questions about how things should work here, open a new topic in the [site feedback category] and let's discuss! If there's a critical or urgent issue that can't be handled by a meta topic or flag, contact us via the [staff page]

[Terms of Service]

Yes, legalese is boring, but we must protect ourselves – and by extension, you and your data – against unfriendly folks. We have a [Terms of Service]describing your (and our) behavior and rights related to content, privacy, and laws. To use this service, you must agree to abide by our [TOS]

hmm, I chose to use an old proverb to state the same thing as stated by others above regarding your apparent inability / unwillingness to take any assistance offered, and you respond by regurgitating a piece of the wiki, extremely useful and informative; haven't read that since it was written, thanks.

2 Likes

Thanks anyhow.

Not really. I tried putting those in, but it only works one at a time.

Here are some results from your link:
|x86_64|1500-2500|4|Celeron J4105|Realtek RT8111A|920
(4)|940
(4)|1720
(6)|900
(1)|920
(1)|1610
(2)|
| --- | --- | --- | --- | --- |
|x86_64|1000-1400|4|AMD
GX-412TC|Intel i211AT|920
(4)|940
(5)|1740
(7)|770L
(2)|930
(2)|700
(1)|
|mvebu a9|1866|2|88W8964||

This tells me nothing about what brand and model of router they're talking about.

Again, I can't check pricing if it doesn't say what device. They don't sell things by "SOC" at the store.

You know very well what you were doing. Maybe reread that "wiki" again.
:wink:

Looking at my browser tabs, I have these after this post from last week, so I'm not positive if it was from here:

https://www.amazon.com/Linksys-Wireless-Compatible-Certified-Refurbished/dp/B079YYWFJC/ref=sr_1_10?dchild=1&keywords=EA8500&qid=1597415452&sr=8-10

https://www.amazon.com/Linksys-Wireless-Streaming-Internet-EA6350-4B/dp/B08547YKJD/ref=sr_1_19_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=EA8500&qid=1597415452

https://www.amazon.com/Linksys-Max-Stream-Ac4000-Mu-Mimo-Router/dp/B079XWCCTV/

Not sure whether or not these meet any of the criteria you mentioned or not at this point. However, I am guessing any of these are going to be better than the Netgear I have now.

Use the Table of Hardware I linked you before. Filter on the SOC you are interested it, and it will return all the models that use that particular SOC. Look up the price for the suggestions and you're done.