What is the R7800-Chromium Build?

I'm finally getting around to updating my R7800 router to run OpenWRT 23.05. I build images for myself with the ImageBuilder, and have previously used the ipq806x-generic docker containers as a starting point. I was looking at the list of containers so that I could get started building a new image for myself, and I noticed that there is now also a set of containers ipq806x-chromium.

I'm guessing this does not mean that it has Google Chrome embedded in my router, but something else. What are these images, and how do they differ from the normal generic images?

are you referring to Ipq806x NSS build (Netgear R7800 / TP-Link C2600 / Linksys EA8500) or some other 3rd party build ?

@frollic Index of /snapshots/targets/ipq806x/chromium/ (openwrt.org)
@Marsfan - Use the code (Force, Luke!)
:slight_smile: - Code search results (github.com)

that's not for the 7800 though ?

@Marsfan Chromium in this case seems to relate to the stock OS the devices are running -

https://git.openwrt.org/?p=openwrt/openwrt.git;a=commit;h=ef649b0b14814a84a480e9b7805e4a401e9e06b6

2 Likes

These google branded (and meanwhile remotely disabled by the vendor) OnHub devices from ASUS and TP-Link have a very different boot process than 'normal' ipq806x based devices, so much that they require their own subtarget, but as mentioned by frollic, none of that is relevant to the r7800.

1 Like

@maurer Sorry, I did some searches and did not see much. Did not think to look at the source on GitHub though.

That link is what I was looking at did some searches and the forum link that @frollic mentions does have some mentions of it.

@slh So its just the build for the OnHub routers because they have a different bootloader? I'll stick with the generic one then. Based on @frollic's link, I was getting my hopes up they were builds with NSS Support.

Ah yes. I see now. The wiki page lists the OnHub routers as using the chromium subtarget.

NSS builds see: Ipq806x NSS build (Netgear R7800 / TP-Link C2600 / Linksys EA8500) - #4424 by ACwifidude

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.