What have I done to Block YouTube & Slow Google

For some reason I can't access YouTube at all, Google is slowed to about a minute to load and any site using Google Analytics or Google tag manager takes forever to load.

It seems to me that this must have been a DNS config I must have changed, but I have tried rolling back to first saved config and problem remains.

I also tried adding or changing DNS addresses to 1.1.1.1 or 8.8.8.8

I am not using adblock

Any ideas appreciated?

Collect the diagnostics and post it to pastebin.com redacting the private parts:

uci show network; uci show dhcp; uci show firewall; \
netstat -l -n -p | grep -e dnsmasq; pgrep -f -a dnsmasq; \
head -v -n -0 /etc/resolv.* /tmp/resolv.* /tmp/resolv.*/*
1 Like

Thanks for the diagnostic commands, I am going to use them to try and improve my learning.

I think the issue is the BT hotspot itself

If I use mobile data I have no problem but if I connect my phone directly to the BT-Wifi I still get the problem accessing Google, Google widgets and YouTube.

So now I need to test my BT Broadband login somewhere else to determine if it is my BTBroadband account or BT Wifi routing overall.

I think I am going to dump BT, I pay BT way above the going rate for Broadband and I also have their Sports and Movie packages on top.

I have one of those sim devices that makes a wifi out of a SIM, I need to dig it out of a cupboard, I can't remember if it has an ethernet cable to just wifi.

1 Like

Could also be some IPv6 misconfiguration. But start by collecting diagnostics like @vgaetera suggested.

2 Likes

I thought that might be the case so reset the router to default and reconfigured just enough to get it going, also tried loading my first backup of Known Good Configuration, neither improved. I turned everything off for 3 days and made no difference.

However, because the problem also occurs on my phone, Ipad and laptop when I connect them directly to BT-Wifi (so no openwrt) then the issue is with BT.

If I use a VPN in a browser the issue goes away, so now I am looking at Wireguard (which was on my bucket list anyway) but I may still dump BT, they are usually the most expensive ISP, plus I am paying them £15 extra a month for Sport and more still for TV.

I was prepared to pay this extra for BT Broadband because BTWiFi is included but there is no tangible support from BT and they have made it such a pain, I mean a site like

https://www.gmc-uk.org/

Takes over 5 minutes to load the homepage because it uses Google Fonts and Google API's.

YouTube will not load nor will Google.com or Google.co.uk

Google is systemic across the internet, people use Google Analytics, Google Tag manager, none of them work with BT-Wifi at the moment. It seems to me that it must be a DNS issue or something else bad in the BT-Wifi config, but I have no way of configuring the BT-Wifi router, there were several around where I was this week.

I do have one other option from a post I have seen on here but I need to get my head around wireguard first as the other post is going to take some learning.

Thanks for your reply, I do intend to run the diags VG posted because this is how I learn stuff.

1 Like