What blocks 19.07 release?

There are RC1 builds available, just not for most targets yet. It's going to take time for the buildbot to compile them all.

Guys, I’d be appreciated if someone can tell me if it’s safe to upgrade to the 19.07 rc1 from 18.06 ath79 snapshots.

Safe here means most configurations be kept, no need to configure from scratch.

what is "18.06 ath79 snapshots"?

Ath79 isn't available in 18.06 release

The nightly builds have one.

If you mean the images downloaded from here https://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/targets/ath79/

Then it's called just "snapshot" or "master". "18.06" is a stable release name.

Afaik there should not be major changes for core functionality (network, wifi, VLAN, firewall, luci web interface) between current snapshot and 19.07.

Some packages with additional functionality (like for example the luci interface for firewall missing some advanced options that were not shown in 18.06, or the luci interface for OpenVPN, that is much better than in 18.06) may be stuck at an older version and be less useful.

1 Like

It is generally recommended to start from a clean installation when you upgrade to new major release, like from 17->18 or 18>19.

2 Likes

No! It burned my house down and it killed my kittens!!!

J/k - I've been running builds off the 19.07 branch ever since it got forked.

2 Likes

Safe, yes.

It being an “upgrade” is debatable as master is on a significantly later kernel version as well as roughly 1000 commits ahead of 19.07

Let's not scare the regular users Jeff. Not everyone wants or needs to run bleeding edge.

2 Likes

many people consider the ability to just install and have a web interface, and then install packages without getting stupid kernel version errors an "upgrade".

YMMV

P.S. What is really is "a commit" for most people anyway :rofl:

3 Likes

Can we expect release of 19.07 very soon?

If not, is there something that can be done in the future to help push releases at least once a year? Like maybe a contribution to fund people to get the release out? Stability is more important to me than features. So I'm willing to forego latest features for stability. Once a candidate is set, just get it stable even if it doesn't have latest features.

1 Like

That probably depends on your definition of "very soon". According to my own, unspecified, definition, I'd probably say "soon", yes - "very soon", no.

1 Like

Just upgraded to 19.07.0 RC1, the only trouble I encountered so far is that the 2.4G wifi has to be radio2, instead radio1 as before.

I have to edit the config file to erase the zombie radio1 config.

BTW, the router I am running is a TP-Link Archer C7 v2.

Likely the radio numbering is just due to a change PCIe path (or something), so that radio2 was invented as you already had a (faulty "zombie") radio1. If you had upgraded without keeping settings, you would have radio0 and radio1.

(The numbering of the radios has no significance. You could rename them as radio98 and radio99..)

3 Likes

The above is a heads-up for anyone

upgrading from ar71xx to ath79

It's a major change in architecture, not just a version bump.

2 Likes

To avoid further confusion about the branches, master vs. 18.06 vs 19.07, I updated my older graph explaining the branches:

Openwrt follows this branch strategy:

• all development happens in master. It progresses on, but no releases are made of it. Buildbot development snapshots are made from master.

• before major releases, a release branch is branched off from master. This branch will get separate fix commits and releases are made of that. No new features are normally added to the release branches after the branching.
    In the picture above, you can see 17.01 branch and 18.06 branch with the historical releases made from them (and also the 19.07 branch which is actually still awaiting the 19.07.0-rc1 and final 19.07.x releases).

Note that 19.07 was branched five months ago. There has been lots of progress in master since then. There has been some major backporting (WPA3 support, javascript LuCI), but to a large extent the 19.07 reflects June 2019 code, not the master as of November 2019.

12 Likes

Thanks for the thorough clarification hnyman, I am very appreciated.

1 Like

Tried with the 19.07.0 RC1 with software flow offloading, it doesn't disconnect ed2k server as the master nightly snapshots did. Perhaps it has something to do with the offloading bugs not fully addressed with the new kernel version.

The 4.14 kernel is more stable with offloading on, at least to my use circumstance.

I think with the RC1 release this topic can slowly come to an end.
Please post your isssue with RC1 in separate or already existing topics regarding this release.

7 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.