Weird Mesh problem

using device-1 or device-2 i can only access either mesh-1 or mesh-2 not both at the same time.
sometimes i can access mesh-1 but not mesh-2 and sometimes i can access mesh-2 but not mesh-1.
pinging them both at the same time only 1 mesh replies, and after a while the other mesh can now reply with the ping but the other one gets timeouts.

device-2, device-3 and device-4 can access the internet at the same time. and they can ping each other. So the mesh works great for connected devices.
device-3 can access mesh-1 but cant access mesh-2 (but can ping device-4) (vice versa).

red line has connection but slow and based on speedtest i can say that mesh-2 goes through mesh-1 as the speed is higher.
using device-1 or device-2 i can only access mesh-1 not mesh-2.
but device-1 and device-2 can ping both device-3 and device-4
device-3 can access mesh-1 but cant access mesh-2 (but can ping device-4)
device-4 can access mesh-2 but cant access mesh-1 (but can ping device-3)

using device-1 or device-2, this is what happens when the ping switch from mesh-1 to mesh-2.
once the switch happens you cant access the mesh that is not able to reply via ping.
but devices connected on both mesh still has internet.

anyone?
or is this what normal mesh network works?

No, it not ideal or normal batman-adv behavior.

Are you mixing different wifi chipsets?

Check on each mesh router using batctl

batctl n

batctl o

Confirm ping to other mesh nodes with batctl ping

Chech performance with

batctl tp aa:mesh-mac

How to ping with batctl?

Use the mac addresses output from

batctl n

main ap is xiaomi r4a gigabit
mesh1 and mesh2 are xiaomi r4a 100m

root@OpenWrt:~# batctl n
Error - no valid command or debug table specified: n
Usage: batctl [options] command|debug table [parameters]

root@OpenWrt:~# batctl o
Error - no valid command or debug table specified: o
Usage: batctl [options] command|debug table [parameters]

Nevermind the problem was the LAN mac address. Both Mesh-1 and Mesh-2 had the same lan mac.
I was using backup/restore to easily copy batman config and the mac address of the lan was copied to the 2nd ap.

is there a way to revert to the stock lan mac address?
both mac of 2.4 and 5 wifi are on both aps are unique.

1 Like

Yes it so easy to backup and restore settings without checking uniqueness.

Some users made this mistake with backup and restoring complete firmware with access points and have issues.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.