WDS platform compatibility

I'd like to hear from those who tried to set up a WDS link between different platforms.

ath9k - ath10k
ath9k - mwlwifi
ath10k - mwlwifi

Is it compatible, performant, any possible problems ?
In other words, should I look for similar hardware or its not necessary ?

It 'should' work between all mainline drivers based on mac80211. i've personally used ath9k-ath10k for quite a while, but never had any mt76 or mwlwifi hardware.

I know it works fine between a TP-Link WDR4300 (ath79) and a Linksys WRT3200ACM (mwlwifi).

Worked for me between a TP-Link Archer C2600 (ath10k) and a TP-Link WDR4300 (ath79). It worked with WPA2, but I had some weird re-keying issues when running SAE-Mixed (WPA2/WPA3) on 19.07.4.

If I remember correctly, OpenWRT uses 4addr mode for WDS instead of any proprietary version most vendors bundle, which should make it quite compatible between different platforms.

it should work right with 'ath9k' ath10k and mwlwifi.
you ll have problem only if the ap wds is mwlwifi.

But do we have mamy version of WDS in openwrt ?

All of these are resolved by the 4-addr AP/client support, so there's also no reason to improve WDS in the future.

This option enables the deprecated WDS support, the newer mac80211-based 4-addr AP/client support supersedes it with a much better feature set (HT, VHT, ...)

We plan to remove this option and code, so if you find that you have to enable it, please let us know on the linux-wireless@vger.kernel.org mailing list, so we can help you migrate to 4-addr AP/client (or, if it's really necessary, give up on our plan of removing it).

Since the patch in question is 4 years old, I'd say OpenWRT is using the above mentioned mac80211 4addr AP/client version, like @slh mentioned.