Warning during building

By following this guide https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-developer/build-system/use-buildsystem I can build the image for my router without any problem (Linksys WRT3200ACM). When I give the command ./scripts/feeds install -a after giving ./scripts/feeds update -a
On the forum I have already found other posts about it. But there was never a real answer, because all the answers always refer to the result and therefore at the most it was advised to ignore everything. Instead I would really like to understand what those notices refer to, why they exist, if there is a way to avoid them and why after a couple of years that I compile, I still see these notices (so it's not something recently, rather it's a tradition) .

WARNING: Makefile 'package/utils/busybox/Makefile' has a dependency on 'libpam', which does not exist
WARNING: Makefile 'package/utils/busybox/Makefile' has a build dependency on 'libpam', which does not exist
WARNING: Makefile 'package/network/utils/curl/Makefile' has a dependency on 'libgnutls', which does not exist
WARNING: Makefile 'package/network/utils/curl/Makefile' has a dependency on 'libopenldap', which does not exist
WARNING: Makefile 'package/network/utils/curl/Makefile' has a dependency on 'libidn2', which does not exist
WARNING: Makefile 'package/network/utils/curl/Makefile' has a dependency on 'libssh2', which does not exist
WARNING: Makefile 'package/network/utils/iproute2/Makefile' has a dependency on 'libcap', which does not exist
WARNING: Makefile 'package/network/utils/iproute2/Makefile' has a dependency on 'libcap', which does not exist
WARNING: Makefile 'package/boot/kexec-tools/Makefile' has a dependency on 'liblzma', which does not exist
WARNING: Makefile 'package/network/services/lldpd/Makefile' has a dependency on 'libnetsnmp', which does not exist
WARNING: Makefile 'package/network/utils/nftables/Makefile' has a dependency on 'jansson', which does not exist
1 Like

It's because "base" distribution doesn't include the main package feed by default and there's no interest to include (maintain) "non essential" packages (libraries etc) into "base" distribution. At some point more packages are going to be transferred to the package feed (apparently) but this seems like a highly unclear when or if it will happen (see https://github.com/openwrt/openwrt/pull/2141 for more information about this). What you're seeing is a list of packages what will fail to build completely or if funtionality that depends on said libraries is enabled although it doesn't show you recursive dependencies so you'll likely see more packages that will fail to build in the end.

So why not only feed the packages that are actually in the "base" distribution? And then maybe those who want more add their feeds manually.

1 Like