Wanting to SSH to Router, need opkg?

You defiantly need to understand this before coming to OpenWrt:

https://openwrt.org/toh/start - if your device is not there, it's not supported

Also, you need to understand that if WiFi is Broadcom:

2 Likes

v3 FCC approval date: 30 December 2008 -- still a decade old and before 802.11n was finalized

Not recommended for future use with OpenWrt due to low flash/ram.
Limitations in extensibility and stability of operation are to be expected.
See 432_warning for details.

Devices with Broadcom WiFi chipsets have limited OpenWrt supportability (due to limited FLOSS driver availability for Broadcom chips). Consider this when chosing a device to buy, or when deciding to flash OpenWrt on your device because it is listed as supported. See broadcom_wifi for details.

Unless you've got unlimited time to get an old, well-loved router running as best as it can for its era (think restoring a 1979 IBM PC, knowing it isn't going to run Windows 10, or even Windows period), I'd suggest a current alternative.

You may want to consider a more powerful device than the US$20-class devices if you have a high-speed connection (over a couple hundred mbps), want to run a VPN, or have several wireless users that consume data at the same time. Other than that, there are some great choices in the US$20-70 range, including dual-band options.

1 Like

Thanks, though I don't use these routers for Internet lol. I have an Xfinity Modem. I just use them as hobby routers.