Want to sponsor porting to Technicolor TC7200 cable modem

Dear Community,

Inspired by an article I read on Phoronix (just google "Phoronix TC7200") about the release of the Technicolor TC7200 firmware sources, and thanks to Adam Kalisz, I would like to sponsor the porting of LEDE to the Technicolor TC7200 cable modem / wifi router.

By sponsoring I mean my company will offer free test devices, and is ready to spend in the range of $10,000 for a working firmware.

The target device, the Technicolor TC7200 docsis cable modem is based on the Broadcom BCM3383 chipset. Which is apparently the biggest problem. At least the OpenWRT product wiki page says that the missing broadcom drivers for Ethernet and Docsis are the main showstoppers. Actually we need someone to assess if there is anything missing make this happen.

Still, I'm determined to make this happen, and if someone wants to join, welcome on board.

I've reached out today to Broadcom to see if they can support by releasing those missing drivers, or their documentation at least. Will update once I receive an answer.

I'm happy to provide sample units to those who would like to make an attempt at creating a fresh firmware by using the source's released by Technicolor on their Github (/tch-opensrc)

We are happy to pay to developers, or a team of developers with good references, to speed up this process.

The goal is to have a generic firmware which can make all the stock functionality of the device working, and allows further customization. If this can be achieved by building on LEDE, that's even better.

Basic functions:

• Docsis interface connectivity (channel bonding of 8 DS and 4 US channels)
  • Ethernet connectivity
  • Basic bridge / NAT between the interfaces
  • Wifi connectivity (2.4 / 5 ghz selectable)
  • VoIP / EMTA / Telephony connectivity using the SIP and PacketCable (MGCP) protocols

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. You can reach me via this forum in a private message.

1 Like

Hardware specs for reference: https://wikidevi.wi-cat.ru/Technicolor_TC7200_(Thomson)

This is a Broadcom device with bcm33xx SoC for which there are no Ethernet nor DOCSIS drivers: https://openwrt.org/docs/techref/hardware/soc/soc.broadcom.bcm33xx

"Opensourcing" it didn't change anything as the main functionality is still in binary blobs. More precisely, object files which can probably be linked only with some ancient 2.6 kernel. Also, it doesn't support DOCSIS 3.1 which started rolling out in Europe, so there's even less motivation for someone to port OpenWrt to this device today.

1 Like