WAN VLAN necessary?

Hi,
OpenWRT creates a VLAN for WAN interface per default when installed.
I'm using a TPLink Archer v2, where the WAN interface is on it's own NIC (eth0).

Simple question: is a VLAN necessary? (currently eth0.2). If WAN has it's own nic, a VLAN on top seems redundant to me.

Maybe some network expert can share some insights? What do i miss?

It is necessary since the switch chip is a 7 port matrix which can switch any port to any other port. It is necessary to define VLANs in the switch to separate wan and lan traffic.

2 Likes

It then seems like this device is quite similar to WRT3200ACM where the switch also has 7ports.
Eth0 and eth1 is cpu connections.
Eth3-eth6 is on the plastic called Lan1-4 and wan.

Thats about it, what is LanX and what is Wan is only a matter of plastic words. In “networking” you can use them as you wish, sometime I would wish they didn’t called the ports LanX or Wan on the plastic and instead called them for what they are Eth[n].

The reason for two connections to cpu is only a matter of routing speed efficiency.
But with DSA at least in 21.02 you can only use one cpu port anyway.

1 Like

thanks for this quick Explanation. I do now understand the difference between what's labeled, and whats inside :wink: Will check out the DSA concept, as i'm running already on 21.02.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.