WAN Port issues on EA4500

I am trying to use my EA4500 as a router, but when I connect it up to my ISP connection there is no activity on the WAN port. Not even lights to indicate there is a cable connected. If I connect it to my secondary router, the port lights up and it gets an IP address just fine. It also connects just fine and lights up while on the stock firmware, so it is very likely not a hardware issue.
I have tried a few separate versions of LEDE along with multiple resets, but nothing seems to work. The router is currently on the 17.01.4 Kirkwood release of LEDE.

SSH in to the router and run cat /etc/config/network .

Post your results.

https://pastebin.com/DgsxDK99

I don't see any DNS servers listed.

Should I add googles DNS servers to the wan interface?

You can use those, or any public DNS servers.

I added Googles DNS Servers (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4), but there are still no lights on the WAN port and no IP address on the interface.

When you say you are connecting to your ISP connection, do you mean you are connecting the EA4500 directly, or connecting the EA4500 to the ISP provided router/modem that is directly connected?

I am connecting to the modem which is provided by my ISP. The modem is a Calix brand 711gx ont.

What you're describing is the ONT...it actually isn't a modem.

What is the "secondary" router you are referring to?

It's a fiber-to-the-home converter device.

Has your provider activated the Ethernet port on the ONT?

...and if so, does your ISP have to clear the last MAC address before a new device can connect???

According to the OP, it has...

"If I connect it to my secondary router, the port lights up and it gets an IP address just fine. It also connects just fine and lights up while on the stock firmware, so it is very likely not a hardware issue."

If the "secondary router" is ISP provided, the OP likely has TV and phone service.

The EA4500 would then need to be bridged to the ISP device.

@jwoods...it seems that his ONT may be locked to it's last MAC...

On Verizon FiOS, this lease period is 2 hours.

If he can spoof the MAC of the last working device connected to WAN, this might help...he can also call them to have them drop the MAC, but I haven't had success with that in years.

True, I make my MOCA device downstream...he may also need to enable igmpproxy for TV guide and firmware updates...he can eventually get rid of this ISP's router by purchasing a MOCA Bridge adapter.

Good to know, thanks for clarifying. The secondary router Is a Medialink MWN-WAPR300N and I am currently using it for internet access. I just checked the box and the ethernet cable that comes out of the ONT has the blue pair used for the telephone connection. I hooked up the router with a patch cable and the lights came on so now I'm thinking it's a wiring issue. Is there any way to compensate for this with LEDE?

My ISP does have to clear the MAC address, but I have my Medialink router spoofing the EA4500's MAC.

Compensate for what exactly?

On my ONT, I have:

• normal Ethernet cable that goes to LEDE Router
  • I connect the ISP router to the LEDE
  • coax that is bridged to the LAN of the ISP modem, and my TVs, making coax the LAN on the ISP's router, only that VLAN has TV service.
  • telephone goes to my normal customer access punch-down box

I would verify your Ethernet wiring only carries Ethernet.

Compensate for only three pairs being used for the ethernet connection. Or would it be best to run a new ethernet cable? We do not use our ISP for TV service.

You'll have to spoof the usable, working MAC on any device you wish to connect directly to the ONT.

You also cannot have devices with the same MAC connected to each other.

Here is how the cable is wired in.

The MAC address of the two routers is identical, and there is only ever one at a time connected to the ONT.