WAN performance on nanopi r2s

I've recently upgraded to this device to improve my WAN performance. But with the latest official build (21.02.3), i can only seem to be able hit around ~750-780Mbit. Completly stock image with some port fowards. I've enabled software offloading and tried packet steering with no luck.

Are there any tweaks i should do to boost that performance? According to this, this device should have no issues saturating 1Gbit WAN.

1 Like

Run htop on the console, while pushing it, see what happens to the CPU load.

This is my load when downloading a single big file. To me, there doesn't seem to be any obvious bottlenecks. For some reason, i can't seem to install htop from official repos.

So did some more testing. Looks like i'm indeed cpu bottlenecking. I was able to get htop working, which made it evident, that core #0 is getting trashed to almost 100% and core #2 is also around 80%.

So what is there to do?

I've done some further testing and my conclusion is this; official openwrt images seem to be clocking the cpu too low to hit those WAN speeds. Forked version doesn't have those issues (you can clock it to ~1,6GHz).
Additionally, eth1 disconnecting issue also seems to be gone or mitigated very well with above build.

1 Like